Like you really want to win this prize

JJR512

In today's episode of The Price is Right, one of the two showcases at the end of the show featured a trip to...

New Orleans!

But what could be better than that? Guess what! That showcase also included...

A speedboat!

The perfect accessory (aside from shotguns, maybe) for any New Orleans trip.

(Yes, I realize the episode was undoubtedly recorded prior to Katrina.)

(The showcase was not won, for the record.)

Isn't there some insane tax on game show winnings? Like 55% or something?

I met a lady from here once who won a big prize on one of the shows. I think it might have been Price Is Right, but maybe not. Anywho, I remember her saying that as soon as she exited the stage, she was met by a legal rep from the production company with a bunch of papers to complete. She was informed of the tax and given an option to forfeit the prizes, which she took. According to this lady, most winners do forfeit them because the tax must be paid out of pocket, and how many among us could afford to pay 55% of a $30,000 "prize"?

Damn, I'm just bursting bubbles all over the place today...mebbe I oughta, like, GO somewhere...

That sucks.

There should be an option to take a cash-value equivalent of the prize, thus the tax could be removed and you would be given what's left.

Of course, then everybody would leave with their prize; maybe the game-show bean counters figure on a certain amount of people not taking anything. In that way, it's just like rebates.

Now that I think about it more, what sucks more is that you have to pay right then and there, if that's true. I mean, suppose I won a $30,000 prize, like a car. I may have to pay $16,000 in tax to get the car. But if I had some time, I could sell the car, take what I got for it, pay the tax and still have several thousand dollars left over, even if I couldn't sell it for its full retail price.

I don't think it has to be paid on the spot, but likely on your next income tax filing.

It makes sense in a way. How else could a game show give away all that shit and stay afloat? They're really nothing but advertisements anyway. Except maybe Jeopardy, where it's all cash winnings. TPIR is nothing but a 60 minute commercial.

Hey, don't you go dissing TPIR. For some of us, that's as close as we got to the Victoria Secret catalogue, or SI's Swimsuit edition. All those titties flippin and floppin as the wimmen jump up and down.

That's true, that the shows are a lot of advertising. But that's what allows them to give all that stuff away. Much of what they give away is either donated, or sold at great discount, to the show by the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure that's mentioned in the fine print of the end credits, in fact.

Professur said:
Hey, don't you go dissing TPIR. For some of us, that's as close as we got to the Victoria Secret catalogue, or SI's Swimsuit edition. All those titties flippin and floppin as the wimmen jump up and down.

[Happy Gilmore]The price is wrong, bitch[/Happy Gilmore] :lol:

Back