Lip Synching lives on

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
she didn't learn from Milli Vanilli I guess :confbang:. Ashley Simpson got caught in a fubar on Saturday Night Live last night. Someone played the wrong voice track. She was like a deer in the headlights, ran off stage and all.

video here I've watched it, and I've been following it on a few boards...I gotta whether you find lipsynching to be a cool way to perform a live show or not, she should not have blamed her band. Those fellas did what they shoulda done IMO.

Leslie said:
she didn't learn from Milli Vanilli I guess :confbang:. Ashley Simpson got caught in a fubar on Saturday Night Live last night. Someone played the wrong voice track. She was like a deer in the headlights, ran off stage and all.

video here I've watched it, and I've been following it on a few boards...I gotta whether you find lipsynching to be a cool way to perform a live show or not, she should not have blamed her band. Those fellas did what they shoulda done IMO.

Umm... Performances for TV shows are usually "lip-synched." The logistics of playing a live set in a small (even with a studio audience) room and having TV quality sound pretty much preclude most most "live" performances from being performed "live." Hope I didn't burst anyone's bubble. I've seen that happen on numerous occasions. It's whoever was responsible for making sure the control room got the right tracks fault.

Note that this has no relationship to what Milli Vanilli did whatsoever.

And to think, I had the chance to watch SNL last night but didn't because I thought the Hawaii/San Jose State football game would be more entertaining.

What Gonz said. Her voice is decent, it isn't great. The songs are recorded in a comfortrable enviroment where she can focus and sing but when jumping around on stage many artists lose their peak performance voice. The stage acoustics maybe bad too requiring voiceovers, also in a small enviroement the guitar amps and drums may completely overshadow her voice....

that's all well and good, and very understood.

but as that is the case, I don't want to hear..."and now performing live here on *blank* show".

Hey, IC, didja mean chcr? I haven't said squat yet.

For TV, memorex is the way to go...too many variables in this day of instant gratification or death.

However, if an "artist" can't perform their art live, they're in the wrong business. I've often wondered, is Brittney a dancer or a vocalist?

Gonz said:
Hey, IC, didja mean chcr? I haven't said squat yet.

For TV, memorex is the way to go...too many variables in this day of instant gratification or death.

However, if an "artist" can't perform their art live, they're in the wrong business. I've often wondered, is Brittney a dancer or a vocalist?

They're called "performers" nowadays .

ash r said:
SNL is not something people lip sync on usually.
i think either one or no people have done it on snl before.

But it sounded suspiciously like a guide vocal that’s a common — although almost always unspoken — concert aid. Either the singer “lip synchs” by mouthing words to a backing tape or has a live microphone and sings along to the tape, making the voice sound more powerful than it is.

Such vocal tricks have been used before on the show, making “Saturday Night Live” not entirely live, said a show insider who spoke on condition of anonymity.

When all else fails, blame the band. :rolleyes:

Simpson was expecting to "sing" her song "Autobiography," so she and her band looked confused when her hit "Pieces of Me" started playing instead - complete with vocal track.

She awkwardly tried to dance away from the moment, then quickly exited stage left, while the band gamely tried to play along until the show abruptly cut to a commercial.

At show's end, Simpson used her last few seconds of airtime to pass the musical buck.

"I feel so bad! My band started playing the wrong song! And I didn't know what to do!" she squealed. "I'm sorry! It's live TV! Things happen! I'm sorry!"

Other lip-synchers
MILLI VANILLI: Pretty boys Rob Pilatus and Fabrice Morvan won a Grammy in 1990 but gave it back after admitting they never sang a note on their album "Girl You Know It's True." Pilatus died of an overdose in 1998; Morvan says on his Web site that "the sincerity behind their performances could never have been faked."

BRITNEY SPEARS: Denies lip-syncing in her choreographed stage shows, but the British director of one said: "Of course she lip-syncs. ... You couldn't dance like she does and still maintain the quality of sound she wants to."

LUCIANO PAVAROTTI: In "The King and I," a recent book by Herbert Breslin, the tenor's longtime manager claims the legendary opera star occasionally lip-synced when tired. Pavarotti denies it.

Pavarotti, I can understand. The power necessary to sing like he does is scary. And I don't like him, so that's a double compliment.

as1.jpg

Back