Little Mosque On The Prairie

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I ain't makin' this up

"A lighthearted comedy that portrays the Muslim community in a manner that is evenhanded is definitely a welcome change from hearing about Muslims as terrorists, as jihadists," Elsayed says.

I reckon it would be. Now if only they stopped acting like terrorists and jihadists in everyday life...but we won't worry about real life, this is TV!

"We need something to show that Muslims are human," says Kamal Nawash, founder of the Free Muslims Coalition, an anti-extremist group based in Washington, D.C.

Then maybe quit blowing shit up every time the wind changes direction. Maybe quit hijacking planes and flying them into buildings. Or, emulate Seinfeld and become pop culture and brainwash the typical viewer into believing your rhetoric that way. Either one. Can't worry with it now, Idol's on donchaknow.

The first episode introduced viewers to the close-knit Muslim community, in the fictional small town of Mercy, and to the local non-Muslims who regard their neighbors with a mixture of trepidation and tolerance. In the second episode, the new imam, a handsome young man newly arrived from Toronto, sparks a battle of the sexes when he decides to erect a barrier between men and women in the mosque.

Must see TV by any definition, wouldn't you say?

Gawd I'm glad I am a music fan.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I watched it this week. It's freaking funny. Almost better than Corner Gas.

I think from the sappy article you have the wrong perception on what it is. It bashes Muslims and everyone else alike in their ridiculousness. It was a riot.

MrBishop

Take a friggin' pill...it's a situation-comedy! Pretty smart and funny...and pokes fun at both sides of the issue.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Take a friggin' pill...it's a situation-comedy! Pretty smart and funny...and pokes fun at both sides of the issue.

Touchy today, aren't we? Before jumping down someones throat, Gato style, please take into consideration that we don't get that show in the US. ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
I reckon it would be. Now if only they stopped acting like terrorists and jihadists in everyday life...

SnP, the simple fact is that the vast majority of them don't, and condemn those that do. I know it's easier to condemn a whole group for the actions of a few, but think about how a lot of yankees think of southerners and I think you'll see my point.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SnP, the simple fact is that the vast majority of them don't, and condemn those that do. I know it's easier to condemn a whole group for the actions of a few, but think about how a lot of yankees think of southerners and I think you'll see my point.

Not to mention the other way around...

Incidentally...I work with several Muslims. They were pretty upset when the towers fell just like everybody else at work. The demonization process does not start with people you know. It starts with people you don't know...like the ones handing out candy, and dancing in the streets on 9/11...or the ones putting out videos of praise for the terrorists...or the ones who pay for the education and training of terrorists. I haven't seen a broadcast of a large group of Muslims protesting the attacks...or any other attacks...perpetrated in the name of their religion. :shrug: Blame the media? Partly. Blame the moderates? Partly. Blame the people in general for lapping that crap up? Mostly.

freako104

I reckon it would be. Now if only they stopped acting like terrorists and jihadists in everyday life...but we won't worry about real life, this is TV!

Not all of them do.

For some reason though this makes me think of Father Ted but for Muslims

catocom

For me, as much as 2 years ago, I wasn't as prejudiced of Muslims quite
as much as I am now, and it's because of stuff like this.
To me it's like Gays flaunting that they are gay, or illegals marching in the streets.

just slipping it in.....

freako104

For me, as much as 2 years ago, I wasn't as prejudiced of Muslims quite
as much as I am now, and it's because of stuff like this.
To me it's like Gays flaunting that they are gay, or illegals marching in the streets.

just slipping it in.....

Just curious as to how. They are just trying to show not all are terrorists and are normal people

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I readily accept that all __________ do not act like the vocal minority of ____________.

However, and this has been said before, until that silent majority becomes vocal and distances themselves from and/or denounces and/or dissociates with the vocal militant minority, I fear my reaction is far more common than most think. And as in the Southerner/yankee example, I am trying to combat it just the way suggested. Until more Muslims do so, it is unrealistic to expect opinions to change.

On September 10, 2001, I had one conception of Muslims. It has changed since then. Who changed that conception? Muslims. Minority or no, they caused it to change. They will have to cause any other change that happens. It's not gonna be through a television show with an obvious agenda. It's gonna be through deed. Dancing in the street in celebration left an image that will have to be overridden. Fair? I dunno. But it is an accurate statement, and Lord knows there ain't too many of those bandied about now are there?

freako104

I readily accept that all __________ do not act like the vocal minority of ____________.

However, and this has been said before, until that silent majority becomes vocal and distances themselves from and/or denounces and/or dissociates with the vocal militant minority, I fear my reaction is far more common than most think. And as in the Southerner/yankee example, I am trying to combat it just the way suggested. Until more Muslims do so, it is unrealistic to expect opinions to change.

On September 10, 2001, I had one conception of Muslims. It has changed since then. Who changed that conception? Muslims. Minority or no, they caused it to change. They will have to cause any other change that happens. It's not gonna be through a television show with an obvious agenda. It's gonna be through deed. Dancing in the street in celebration left an image that will have to be overridden. Fair? I dunno. But it is an accurate statement, and Lord knows there ain't too many of those bandied about now are there?

Mine has changed as well but it is because Muslims I knew would be some of the most peaceful and friendly people. After 9/11. Same with Christians, some are horrible people such as Eric Roudolph. Most though are not bombing gay clubs or abortion clinics and certainly haven't bombed the Olympics since 1996. But I don't hear many try to distance themselves from the Army of God or Christian Identity. I don't hear Pagans who distance themselves from some of the religions that call for sacrifices. Does that mean all are bad now?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
It ain't that simple.

Christians have yet to announce from the pulpit that they are on a crusade to kill any nonbeliever they come across. They do not slaughter their enemies en masse.

MrBishop

It ain't that simple.

Christians have yet to announce from the pulpit that they are on a crusade to kill any nonbeliever they come across. They do not slaughter their enemies en masse.

Christians have yet to announce from the pulpit that they are on a crusade to kill any nonbeliever they come across...They do not slaughter their enemies en masse....any more.

chcr

Too cute for words

*sigh* It's not good TV (or at least they think it's not) to show muslims that aren't doing something lurid or horrifying. You're lumping all the muslims in with the few that get on TV is less intelligent than I've always given you credit for. Are you unaware that a majority of muslims don't even live in the middle-east?

Re announcing it from the pulpit, I guess you've never heard of Fred Phelps. He's just the most famous, there are plenty of others.

catocom

Just curious as to how.
how, to which part?
They are just trying to show not all are terrorists and are normal people

Oh they have an agenda then?

I see stuff with other cultures portrayed on many shows, like king of the hill...
Just in the last few years though, the %age of Muslim awareness has greatly
increased.
(in particularly the Mid-eastern Muslim)

I just ask all the time....why now?
Coincidence? I see you think not huh?
I just think the agenda is different than you do.