Logic #3

Djcake

There is a barrel with no lid and some wine in it. "This barrel of wine is more than half full," said Curly. "No it's not," says Mo. "It's less than half full."

Without any measuring implements and without removing any wine from the barrel, how can they easily determine who is correct?

ResearchMonkey

figure out the level that liquid is up to in the barrel, mark it. them flip the barrel over and compare to see if the liquid overlaps the mark (more then half full) or is under the mark (less ten half full)

Djcake

ResearchMonkey said:
figure out the level that liquid is up to in the barrel, mark it. them flip the barrel over and compare to see if the liquid overlaps the mark (more then half full) or is under the mark (less ten half full)
if you flip it you will dump it all out

ResearchMonkey

Since when does anyone keep wine barrels with no sealed top?

OK then stick a stick in to the bottom, and cut the stick to the length of (top of) the barrel, then flip the stick and dip it again. if it submerges past the wetpart of the stick its over half full and if there is any remaining dry it less then half full.

(next your going to tell me its shaped like a Jose Cuervo 1800 bottle)

Djcake

ResearchMonkey said:
Since when does anyone keep wine barrels with no sealed top?

OK then stick a stick in to the bottom, and cut the stick to the length of (top of) the barrel, then flip the stick and dip it again. if it submerges past the wetpart of the stick its over half full and if there is any remaining dry it less then half full.

(next your going to tell me its shaped like a Jose Cuervo 1800 bottle)

ummm... Without any measuring implements

Stop Laughing

Ask for Larry's opinion. :D

How about tipping the barrel over just enough so that the wine is all the way to the edge of being spilled, and if you can see any part of the bottom of the barrel, it's less than half full, otherwise it's more than half full.

Djcake

Stop Laughing said:
How about tipping the barrel over just enough so that the wine is all the way to the edge of being spilled, and if you can see any part of the bottom of the barrel, it's less than half full, otherwise it's more than half full.
you got it :trippin:

Inkara1

I was going to suggest looking into the top of the barrel. Wine barrels are wider at the center than at the ends, so that makes it easier to judge the level of the liquid in relation to the side.

HeXp£Øi±

First thing i thought of was to stand in the barrel and then stand beside the barrel and see if the wet spot on your pants comes half way up the barrel. I think however this was just a good excuse to climb into a barrel of wine. :D