M$ sued over Xbox 360 flaw

Inkara1

A Chicago man who bought Microsoft Corp.'s new Xbox 360 has sued the world's largest software maker, saying the new video game console has a design flaw that causes it to overheat and freeze up.

The proposed class action claims that in Microsoft's bid to gain share in the $25 billion global video game market, the company was so intent on releasing the Xbox 360 before competing next-generation machines from Sony Corp. and Nintendo Co Ltd. that it sold a "defectively designed" product.

Robert Byers, who brought the suit, said the power supply and central processing unit in the Xbox 360 overheat, affecting heat-sensitive chips and causing the console to lock up.

Microsoft spokeswoman Molly O'Donnell on Monday said the company does not comment on pending litigation.

Complaints about the problem surfaced quickly on gaming enthusiast Web sites after the Xbox 360 debuted on November 22.

Console owners reported that some systems had crashed during regular use as well as during online game play using the Xbox Live service. Problems included screens going black and the appearance of a variety of error messages.

At the time O'Donnell told Reuters: "We have received a few isolated reports of consoles not working as expected."

She declined to say how many reports Microsoft had received and said that calls reporting the issue to the company represented a "very, very small fraction" of units sold.

The lawsuit, filed on Friday in federal court in Illinois, seeks unspecified damages and litigation-related expenses, as well as the replacement or recall of Xbox 360 game consoles.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051205/tc_nm/media_xbox_dc

There might a fair amount of heat too dissapate if it had all
this in that widdle box:

Here for the first is the entire finalized set of specifications for the Xbox 360:

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU:

3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
2 hardware threads per core; 6 hardware threads total
1 VMX-128 vector unit per core; 3 total
128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance:

9 billion dot product operations per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor:

500 MHz
10 MB embedded DRAM
48-way parallel floating-point dynamically-scheduled shader pipelines
Unified shader architecture

Polygon Performance:

500 million triangles per second

Pixel Fill Rate:

16 gigasamples per second fillrate using 4X MSAA

Shader Performance:

48 billion shader operations per second

Memory:

512 MB GDDR3 RAM
700 MHz DDR
Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth:

22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
21.6 GB/s front-side bus

Overall System Floating-Point Performance:

1 TFLOP

Storage:

Detachable and upgradeable 20 GB hard drive
12X dual-layer DVD-ROM
Memory unit support starting at 64 MB

I/O:

Support for up to 4 wireless game controllers
3 USB 2.0 ports
2 memory unit slots

Staggered Spin Up

At the Seagate media briefing we learnt something that we never thought was possible.

Staggered spin up is a feature that allows drives to come on in a sequence in order to avoid massive drains on the PSU. Imagine having five or more SATA drives in a single PC. When you start this PC, you would have a massive drain on the PSU’s 12v and 5v rails. This would cause even the most powerful PSU to struggle at start up.

Staggered spin up allows the drives to start up in channel order allowing drive on channel 1 to start, then channel 2 and so on until all drives are started. Staggered spin up is supported on SATA 2.5 boards. After all the drives spin up, the BIOS gets the queue to detect the HDD’s on the SATA channels and booting continues unhindered. This feature has been reserved to SCSI drives and not seen in the retail drive market until the now with SATA 2.5.

So what makes this guy think that he's eligible for damages more than a few hundred dollars beyond the cost of the console itself? I swear, if he's suffered emotional strife because of a shitty console they need to toss him into an asylum not award him a million in cash for having screwed up his lifes priorities. As far as punishing microsoft goes, anyone in this business that releases a faulty product will pay severe penalties via the consumer and the courts need not intervene unless someone accidentally chokes to death on a gamepad.

They're paying in consumers going elsewhere.

My ex was gonna get the kids (well, himself, but he said the kids) one for Christmas, and I told him yesterday don't, get another console. He'd heard that elsewhere too, so he said he'd look for something else.

Leslie said:
They're paying in consumers going elsewhere.

My ex was gonna get the kids (well, himself, but he said the kids) one for Christmas, and I told him yesterday don't, get another console. He'd heard that elsewhere too, so he said he'd look for something else.

Good luck finding one anyway...from what I hear there's no more til Feb :alienhuh:

Back