Mandrake Linux 9.1

Aunty Em

I've got his program sitting on my desk and I'm just wondering where's best to put it...

Can I dual boot using 2 hard drives on one machine? Or would it be better to get a couple of caddies and swop hard drives and hence OS's?

Dual booting would work fine .
You could do it several ways :

1) disable the harddrive containing your Non-linux OS and then install linux and swap between boot drives via the BIOS.This has the advantage that if either OS screws up or you decide to lose either OS you haven't written anything non-native to either OS on its drive.

2)Install Linux without disabling the other hd ,linux will add the other OS to its bootloader .

3)you could use a thirdparty bootloader such as www.xosl.com on the Windows bootdrive.

BTW,when I say disable the HD ,I mean unplug the power or IDE cable.

I use Xosl for my triple boot

Win98Se/Linux-Mandrake8.2/WinXP Pro
1.2ghz266DDR T-Bird @ 1.4ghz
VolcanoII /RadioShack Paste
IWILL KK266+
384 MB PC133
Matrox G450 32MB AGP
MAXTOR 30GB ATA66 7200RPM
Maxtor 60GB ATA100 7200RPM
16x DVD
6424 CDRW
Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical mouse/keyboard
Viewsonic G90f 19"
Altec Lansing ACS54 Speakers

Um, was I meant to get "Aarons Bible" with the link? :lol:

BTW,when I say disable the HD ,I mean unplug the power or IDE cable.

I thought that's what you meant, but looking at the mobile racks available, they're pretty cheap @ £8 each and basically just plug in and out without having to go inside the computer. Plus if I do it that way it can't screw up the windows operating system - I just get 2 and swop them over.

I just had a quick look in my BIOS. I presume I would set the HDD primary master or slave to none to disable it. That may be the way to go initially to see how it works.

Does Mandrake have the necessary drivers to run the all hardware or where would you get linux drivers for your devices? I've actually just got an OEM Samsung CD-Rom for Katie's computer and it came with a driver disc for non-windows OS's.

Mandrake usually has all the drivers you need, although I have had a problem with a squirrely video card, and an old Boca NIC. I dual boot from one drive myself. I also use the Win 2K bootloader rather than either of the Linux ones. In earlier versions, there was a problem with Win 2K and LILO, but I believe that's been solved. My second drive is a FAT 32 drive on which I keep all my MP3s, office documents and d/l'd video. I cna see it from Win 2K and Linux, which I find kind of useful. My wife can also access it from her Win 98 machine (well, Win 2K now). When I get home this eveniong, I can post a link about using the Win 2K/XP bootloader if you'd like.

I've decided to try it out on the second partitian of my TBird, so I moved the mp3s and video files I had stored on there, formatted the partitian and I'm now sitting here waiting for the scandisk to finish checking it before I install. Thorough checks always take soooooooooooooo long! :(

Mine's a copy of the PowerPack Download with 3 installation discs and 4 source disks. I took a shortcut and purchased it for the costs of the discs and postage from someone who had already downloaded it, otherwise on my 128k connection I'd still be here next month downloading, so I don't have any info on how to go about it.

I was a bit flummuxed at first 'cos it wouldn't reboot to begin the installation, but exploring the disc I found instructions on making a boot floppy. I'll just have to feel my way through the rest of it, it can't be that difficult. :)

Aunty Em said:
I'll just have to feel my way through the rest of it, it can't be that difficult.
I don't think you'll have any trouble, Mandrake is generally pretty easy to install (That's why I use it).

I'm just wondering what's on all the source cds. I think it's a lot of different applications.

Yeah, Disk 1 is the barebones of the system, with the basic apps. Disk 2 and 3 are loaded with extra apps that you can install using the Package Manager, or you can put the disk in, browse the files, double click on the one you want and install it. Only problem I've had with doing that is that it isn't always really easy to find the program after you install it.

PuterTutor said:
it isn't always really easy to find the program after you install it.
That's the truth, file organization is very different. I looked briefly on the Mandrake site, but couldn't find anything on what comes with Power pack, and didn't find much info.
The Mandrake Linux 9.1 PowerPack Edition is a customized version dedicated to Power Users who need more than a Linux desktop system. This pack includes 7 CDs, an Installation Manual and User Guide, plus 60 days of installation support. Suggested retail price in the US: $69.00 USD (TAX/VAT included). Availability: mid-April. Pre-order now at MandrakeStore and be among the first to receive a Mandrake 9.1 Pack!

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/

Yes, that's all the info I have. :)

Well it looks like this could be fun then finding out what I've got and what it does! :lol:

Ah...so does this mean these are the open source files for the applications? So I presume if you want to write new applications or improve/customise them you can using these files.

3. Sources

All the Mandrake Linux specific packages come with their sources in the source-CD (PowerPack Edition).

You can download all the source packages from our FTP servers.

If you don't have any convenient Internet access, Mandrake Linux can send you a source archive for a small fee.

Aunty Em said:
Ah...so does this mean these are the open source files for the applications? So I presume if you want to write new applications or improve/customise them you can using these files.
I think that's true of most linux apps. The GPL says only that you have to make the source code freely available. You can even sell your own apps based on wht the GPL says.

Time to go... it's finally finished scanning. I'm just switching over to the TBird. Seeya later! :wave:

Back