Meet Jack

PostCode

Major contributor!
http://www.whippet-rescue.com/available.html#OR

I'm deciding when to go meet him.. My plan is to drive up tomorrow, pick him up if the meeting goes well, then bring him back down Saturday and take him out to Powers Park when I pick up Cathy from her Indian camp thing, Saturday night.

We had to give up Chance, the pug, because he simply would not stop the marking thing. We tried, but I just couldn't take it any longer, so we gave him up for adoption. We agreed that we would not allow him to be put in a pound and would only be given up to a good home. He went through a rescue program who worked him pretty extensively and worked to break the problem. I have no idea if they were successful, but he is now in a good home.

So, Jack, is a dog that caught my eye. I had a customer come by with two of these dogs, Whippit's, and immediately said to myself that's the kind of dog I want. Really calm, loves to play ball, great with kids, and good with other dogs (Dutchess is gonna be jealous).

His former owner kept him in a crate when he was at work and these dogs really hate that. They are real companion type animals which is fine with me. I'd like to have a dog down here at the store to go for walks with and hit the park at lunch to do some ball chasing.

Another aspect is that if we get him then he'll basically be a gift to my daughter but he's gonna be mine. She doesn't know I'm looking into getting him and it'll be a suprise if I drive out to the park to pick her up and have Jack there.

highwayman

PostCode said:
Yeah. The line got drawn when poop showed up on the bed. That was it.

Don't blame you there, one of my dogs has a nasty habit of urinating on the sheets. The problem is she has bad hind legs and it hurts her to jump off the bed so I set her down as soon I wake up in the am, then she can go potty on one of her pads....

You should be happy with the greyhound, from what I have heard they make a wonderful pet...

woodman19_99

highwayman said:
You should be happy with the greyhound, from what I have heard they make a wonderful pet...

It's not really a greyhound, although they look very similar. I believe whippets tend to be a bit smaller than greyhounds.

highwayman

woodman19_99 said:
It's not really a greyhound, although they look very similar. I believe whippets tend to be a bit smaller than greyhounds.

Was looking at the face, yes they are quite similiar but are diferent breeds...

PostCode

Major contributor!
Whippet's are a cross between a family (not sure exactly which) of greyhound and a particular family of terrier (not really sure here either, as everything I've read about it differs). They were bred in the 1800's in Ireland and were used for hunting rabbits and small game. Therefore, ol' Jack, if he comes home with us, will be on a leash most of the time as the cats are not rabbits.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Jack has this look in his eyes that screams he's a good dog. Why is her former owner giving him up? :confuse3:

woodman19_99

Cats may not be like rabbits to you, but like you said... hunt by sight. One of my greyhounds was like that with squirrels. He'd go rigid when he saw one and try to take your arm out of your socket when he went after it...

PostCode

Major contributor!
Luis G said:
Jack has this look in his eyes that screams he's a good dog. Why is her former owner giving him up? :confuse3:

I'm really not sure why the guy gave him up, but the people he is with now are a rescue organization that help these dogs find homes. They also go through a lot of medical exams, all shots, teeth cleaning, spay/neuter, and all that before going to a new home. But, these are the kind of questions I plan on asking the lady who is caring for him.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Well, Jack found a home. It wasen't us but another couple sho had been looking at him before we did. Now comes Zack though. The information I recieved on him makes him seem like a pretty good dog all around. He's seven years old, housebroken, great with kids, men, and women, loves to run, sleeps in an open crate at night, and isn't vocal.

zack.jpg

Gotta get with the adoption agency to look into finding out more about him but he seems like a great dog.

Inkara1

That picture right there breaks one of the biggest rules of photography: PAY ATTENTION TO THE BACKGROUND! I'm just glad I was able to keep myself from busting up laughing at work.

Cerise

PostCode said:
Well, Jack found a home. It wasen't us but another couple sho had been looking at him before we did. Now comes Zack though. The information I recieved on him makes him seem like a pretty good dog all around. He's seven years old, housebroken, great with kids, men, and women, loves to run, sleeps in an open crate at night, and isn't vocal.

zack.jpg

Gotta get with the adoption agency to look into finding out more about him but he seems like a great dog.

He looks like a little snuggle bug :)

Rescue dogs make the best addition to the family and he will thank you every day for loving him.

highwayman

Cerise said:
He looks like a little snuggle bug :)

Rescue dogs make the best addition to the family and he will thank you every day for loving him.

Hung like he is? Damn he would scare any mortal mutt into life of celebacy...