Mexico decriminalizes pot and cocaine

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Owning marijuana, cocaine and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Congress.

Source

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
It has always been legal 'cause it wasn't illegal before. So now they made a law to allow it. Not a single thing will change.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Luis G said:
It has always been legal 'cause it wasn't illegal before. So now they made a law to allow it. Not a single thing will change.

The story said it used to be up to each judge if/how they would punish people with small amounts.

Luis G

Staff member
Yeah, that's kinda..........odd. On our legal system there's something called "precedent", so if one magister or ministry make a decision, then judges can base their decisions on that, kinda like a law.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Luis G said:
Yeah, that's kinda..........odd. On our legal system there's something called "precedent", so if one magister or ministry make a decision, then judges can base their decisions on that, kinda like a law.

Yeah we have the same sort of thing...if someone gets off with a crime because of a certain defense or they get a certain punishment in future cases which are similar the lawyers will bring up the past case to try to argue their client should get the same thing.

Luis G

Staff member
Jurisprudencia here, perhaps the english term would be jurisprudence. :confuse3:

chcr

Too cute for words
Luis G said:

Sure it will. It will set knees to jerking all over the US. :lol: