Mexico wants to drop part of its name

Squiggy

ThunderDick
And I thought you liked us, Luis...:D

Mexico Wants to Drop Part of Its Name
MEXICO CITY (AP) - ``Get the U.S. out of Mexico'' isn't just a leftist slogan anymore.

It's a serious proposal by President Vincente Fox's conservative party - to delete ``United States'' from the name of a country where national pride permeates every aspect of society, including titles.

As it is, few people use Mexico's official name: United States of Mexico (Estados Unidos Mexicanos).

And to some Mexicans it's an unwelcome reminder of the powerful northern neighbor that took half of Mexico's land in the 1847-48 war. Indeed, some joke about the official name, calling it ``United States, Mexico Branch'' - a rueful commentary on what they consider overbearing U.S. influence.

The name United States of Mexico was adopted in 1824, not in emulation of the United States, but in hopes of developing a federalist system of government. It didn't work; power remained centralized in Mexico City.

I think they should leave it the way it is, changing the name will be EXPENSIVE. I'm talking about all papers you have, including birth, marriage, defunction, et all type of civil certificates.

Also it will require the modification of contracts, laws, law suits, etc etc.

Yet another useless idea of our president to waste more money :rolleyes:

btw, United States of Mexico is not the translation of "Estados Unidos Mexicanos", i don't know why they wrote ti that way in the article. It should have been "Mexican United States", unless that there's some "official english name".

Luis G said:
I think they should leave it the way it is, changing the name will be EXPENSIVE. I'm talking about all papers you have, including birth, marriage, defunction, et all type of civil certificates.
Erp, that isn't always the case... I mean, here in SA, all the province's names got changed. On my birth certificate it says the Transvaal... which doesn't exist anymore. and it's still legit.
I know it's not EXACTLY what is proposed here, but if something that were to happen, I'm sure they wouldn't make a big deal out of having all such forms changed. :)

Luis G said:
Try using a passport from a "non-existant" country ;)
Teehee, okay, fair enough, haven't had to do that before. But with our useless gits at the home-affairs offices (where we do such things as change pass ports and the works), it's a little bit of a scary thought. :alienlol:

Argh, I'm sure that if it does come to pass that they will sort something out, they are, I'm sure, bright enough peeps :)

Professur said:
I'm sure they'll have a phasing-out period.

There are passports that expires in 8 years, people that already paid for that, and that's just an example of all the mess it will do if they change the name of the country.

Luis G said:
It should have been "Mexican United States", unless that there's some "official english name".

You know, I think that's worse.. makes it sound a lot more like a part of the US....

We changed from 'Estados Unidos do Brasil' to 'Republica Federativa do Brasil' in the mid 50's I think. I have some old money bills on my collection

Nope and I don't see that happening anytime soon, there are far more important and polemical issues to solve than a (somewhat) useless long official name.

Back