Microwave ovens...handy or deadly

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Ours took a crap this week. As I went shopping to see what was available & for how much I came across this. It seriously makes me wonder whether we should replace it.

Dr. Lita Lee of Hawaii reported in the December 9, 1989 Lancet:

"Microwaving baby formulas converted certain trans-amino acids into
their synthetic cis-isomers. Synthetic isomers, whether cis-amino acids or
trans-fatty acids, are not biologically active. Further, one of the amino
acids, L-proline, was converted to its d-isomer, which is known to be
neurotoxic (poisonous to the nervous system) and nephrotoxic (poisonous to
the kidneys). It's bad enough that many babies are not nursed, but now
they are given fake milk (baby formula) made even more toxic via
microwaving."

Microwaved blood kills patient

In 1991, there was a lawsuit in Oklahoma concerning the hospital use of a
microwave oven to warm blood needed in a transfusion. The case involved a
hip surgery patient, Norma Levitt, who died from a simple blood
transfusion. It seems the nurse had warmed the blood in a microwave oven.
This tragedy makes it very apparent that there's much more to "heating"
with microwaves than we've been led to believe. Blood for transfusions is
routinely warmed, but not in microwave ovens. In the case of Mrs. Levitt,
the microwaving altered the blood and it killed her.

It's very obvious that this form of microwave radiation "heating" does
something to the substances it heats. It's also becoming quite apparent
that people who process food in a microwave oven are also ingesting these
"unknowns".

Because the body is electrochemical in nature, any force that disrupts or
changes human electrochemical events will affect the physiology of the
body. This is further described in Robert O. Becker's book, The Body
Electric, and in Ellen Sugarman's book, Warning, the Electricity Around
You May Be Hazardous to Your Health.

One short-term study found significant and disturbing changes in the
blood of individuals consuming microwaved milk and vegetables. Eight
volunteers ate various combinations of the same foods cooked different
ways. All foods that were processed through the microwave ovens caused
changes in the blood of the volunteers. Hemoglobin levels decreased and
over all white cell levels and cholesterol levels increased.
Lymphocytes decreased.

Here's the whole thing

Never owned one. Don't see the need. My sister left hers with me, it's somewhere in my basement. As far as I'm concerned, it will stay there until she picks it up. :shrug:

Ms Ann Thrope said:
Never owned one. Don't see the need. My sister left hers with me, it's somewhere in my basement. As far as I'm concerned, it will stay there until she picks it up. :shrug:

Sounds bad. I'm off to microwave my lunch, now. :D

I have a microwave......hardly used it.

When I first got it I did the usual stuff......used it to defrost, exploded a couple of eggs, set fire to a bogroll, dried socks........since then it's been redundant.

Ms Ann Thrope said:
What would I use a microwave oven for? I have a stove that works perfectly well, and it even comes with an oven! :D

No stoves allowed in the workplace. We're lucky to have a microwave, refrigerator, and coffee pot.

I use my microwave all the time. I notice that whenever anyone wants to talk about how bad something is they bring out the radiation tag though. "Microwave radiation," hell, light is radiation. I suppose at some point we'll all have to sit around in the dark. Anyone know of any supporting data? Anyone besides me remember when watching the food cook would give you cataracts? :lol:
It's bad enough that many babies are not nursed, but now
they are given fake milk (baby formula) made even more toxic via
microwaving.
Heh.

chcr said:
I use my microwave all the time. I notice that whenever anyone wants to talk about how bad something is they bring out the radiation tag though. "Microwave radiation," hell, light is radiation.

Heh.

But what on earth do people use them for? I'm with Oz and can't imagine making room on my countertop for a redundant appliance. It takes minutes to heat something in a skillet on top of my stove, why on earth would I be in such a hurry I need it in seconds? Would it kill me to wait? Of course, I don't eat frozen foods, tv dinners, etc. I suppose waiting 10 minutes vs 1 hour for a pot pie is a good enough reason. :rolleyes:

Ms Ann Thrope said:
But what on earth do people use them for? I'm with Oz and can't imagine making room on my countertop for a redundant appliance. It takes minutes to heat something in a skillet on top of my stove, why on earth would I be in such a hurry I need it in seconds? Would it kill me to wait? Of course, I don't eat frozen foods, tv dinners, etc. I suppose waiting 10 minutes vs 1 hour for a pot pie is a good enough reason. :rolleyes:
1. Absolutely the best way to cook bacon.
2. I'd need a hot air popcorn maker (I will not stand by the stove and shake a pan for ten or fifteen minutes).
3. Ham and baked potatoes in ten minutes (BTW, I've never had a microwave pot pie that was really worth eating, The real oven wins there hands down).
4. Hot leftover pizza (you have to basically bake it again in the oven).
5. Hot lunch at work.
6. Reheat my espresso (is there anything worse than cold espresso?)
7. I have killer recipes for microwave peanut brittle and fudge (that I'm no longer allowed to eat).

Actually I got started using it a lot when I was working days and playing guitar at night. Come home, throw some soup in the microwave, get out the crackers and condiments while it's cooking, eat, and fifteen minutes after you get home you're ready to get your shit together for the gig. It's very convenient when your're working two jobs and single.

actually i only use it to melt the cheese of my quesadillas, or to re-heat food 'cause we always cook more food than we eat at the time so the refrigerator always have some nice cold stuff in there :D

Luis G said:
actually i only use it to melt the cheese of my quesadillas, or to re-heat food 'cause we always cook more food than we eat at the time so the refrigerator always have some nice cold stuff in there :D

Oops, I forgot queso, and quesadillas.

chcr said:
I notice that whenever anyone wants to talk about how bad something is they bring out the radiation tag though. "Microwave radiation," hell, light is radiation. I suppose at some point we'll all have to sit around in the dark.

Remote controls too. Better stop watching TV.

Wonder if those people own cell phones. Or live in a copper-coil house in the mountains. There's radiation from electical systems. Hell, radon gas found in basements is naturally radioactive. Holy hell, nature is trying to kill us!!!! Wait..... ;)

I use our microwave for popcorn and for warming up things (carmel mainly) in plastic containers that otherwise could not be used on/in the stove/oven.

Wouldn't take this article as completely truth. Since it was not given, I did a little research to find the source. Looks like its from the Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, June, 2001.
While articles, letters and editorials seek to be scientific and show pros and cons, some information will be biased from the viewpoint of the author, be it physician or patient. We encourage reports which frequently are not data-based but are anecdotal. Hence, information presented may not be proven or factually correct.

Gonz said:
Petroleum based products
Very good Gonz, the caramel I buy comes in plastic containers. Plastic would be petroleum based. I must be missing your point or the relevance to the subject. :shrug:

It seems the nurse had warmed the blood in a microwave oven.

i'm glad that person isnt a nurse anymore. there are special warmers for just that purpose.

as far as microwave use, i use them all the time. we have lots of leftovers that we store in plastic containers. much easier to reheat something by nuking it for 2 minutes. microwaves are one of the best ways to cook veggies too. all the stuff that makes veggies good for you stay in the veggies instead of being boiled out of them. all in all, i'd probably be a few pounds lighter if we didnt have one because i'd have to warm up the oven, put the food in an oven safe container then have twice the stuff to wash afterward.

The anthroposophist A. Bohmert reported the following discovery, that water heated in a microwave oven and other conventional ovens and then left to cool. These water samples were used to bring grain to germination. The grain in contact with micro-waved water, was the only ones that did not germinate.

Spot said:
all the stuff that makes veggies good for you stay in the veggies instead of being boiled out of them

Russian researchers also reported a marked acceleration of structural
degradation leading to a decreased food value of 60 to 90% in all foods
tested.
Among the changes observed were:

Deceased bio-availability of vitamin B complex, vitamin C, vitamin E,
essential minerals and lipotropics factors in all food tested.
Various kinds of damaged to many plant substances, such as alkaloids,
glucosides, galactosides and nitrilosides.
The degradation of nucleo-proteins in meats.

There are some total idiots in the medical profession who should never be there in the first place. I know one man went to an ER complaining of chest and left arm pains, and all they did was give him a shot of cortizone. He had a fatal heart attack at home a few hours later. That man was my uncle.

BTW, the doctor who neglected simple tests for such obvious symptoms of a heart problem such as an EKG which would have almost certainly saved his life got his degree from the University of Mexico (Luis, you better be VERY careful).

Back