Milkgate?

A gallon of milk? What's the challenge in that? Now a gallon of fresh Coke .... That would be worth a half grand.

"gambling"

For some reason the human body can't handle a gallon of milk in one hour. I've personally seen at least 5 people try. They all throw up.

If it's gambling, shouldn't Penny be part of Pete Roses clan?

Why can't the body handle a gallon of milk?

But here's the thing. I've seen/read several accounts where players sort of "adopt" a ballboy. These kids do more than shag grounders during games. They sometimes act like glorified gofers for the players. Then in turn, a player will sometimes take an interest in one of them and do things to help him or the family out. (No lascivious overtones intended...)

That's what this sounds like to me. Penny played for the Marlins, and for all we know he took a shine to this kid and wanted to give him $500. Maybe team rules prohibit gifts, so...

I fail to see where the kid did thing one wrong. If anything, Penny did the wrong. And as I said before, I have serious doubts about even that. Being suspended for a homestand could devastate this kid far beyond any "damage" done by accepting either Penny's dare or his $500 "tip". We hear all the time about pro athletes participating in benevolent activities...charity golf tournaments, donations to schools, whatever. Is this such a sin? And if so, who is the sinner, the kid or the athlete?

Gonz said:
If it's gambling, shouldn't Penny be part of Pete Roses clan?

Probably.

Gonz said:
Why can't the body handle a gallon of milk?

:shrug: I'm no doctor. It's a gallon in under an hour, the "Gallon Challenge". I've yet to see someone defeat the Milk.

SouthernN'Proud said:
I fail to see where the kid did thing one wrong. If anything, Penny did the wrong. And as I said before, I have serious doubts about even that.

It's a stupid bet that many people have made. I'm sure much worse stuff goes on in the clubhouse all the time. Even by the bat boys.

unclehobart said:
The kid made himself unfit for duty. Thats what he did.

Brad Penny said:
''It's ridiculous that they worry about stuff like that. It shows they (the Marlins organization) don't know anything about the game. That kind of stuff goes on everywhere. It didn't affect the way he worked, the way he did his job.''

He may have been able to run around after grounders and all that.. but high profile organizations like sporting teams seem to have a thin skin where public image comes into the mix. They may have felt that chatting up a player wasn't cool. They may have felt that accepting a bet was a stain that they have no tolerance for while he was wearing the team colors.

unclehobart said:
He may have been able to run around after grounders and all that.. but high profile organizations like sporting teams seem to have a thin skin where public image comes into the mix. They may have felt that chatting up a player wasn't cool. They may have felt that accepting a bet was a stain that they have no tolerance for while he was wearing the team colors.

OK, to accept your logic on this (which for the record I don't), if the Marlins have a beef at all, it would be for the ballboy fraternizing with a player from the opposing team.

Woo.

Penalize a kid for hanging with a baseball player, one who I might add used to be a Florida Marlin. That's what we want?

No. I felt that the idea of hanging with a ballplayer to be a far outside and pathetic reason... just a mere possibility. The real reason that I was trying to get across was the bet itself... which is a much more plausible thing to make the team angry... and, for some reason, you chose to gloss over completely.

None at all... agreed... but then again... I've never met a company board that had 4/10's of a clue between the collective lot.

Back