Mixed blessing for our environment

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Here I was, scanning the news, when I happen across this story about the resurgence of the American chestnut tree from the brink of extinction. Fantastic news! These majestic trees have been gone for 50 years. I've only seen the decaying trunks in the forest and still marvelled at them. I'm feeling all good about things for a change. Maybe mankind isn't able to totally destroy everything we touch after all.

Then I see that we haven't stopped trying.

Our kids are gonna be worse off because of our folly. But at least they'll get to live in a nice little anonymous development. How...important.

TexasRaceLady

That's sad, SN'P. I remember going to the Smokies when you could still see for miles and miles --- back in the 50s. It took your breath away.

Stopped by New River Gorge last September and was impressed with the beauty. How sad that houses are going to be built there.

highwayman

TRL I know how you feel, but relisticly people need houses to live in..Were are you going to build new houses?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
highwayman said:
TRL I know how you feel, but relisticly people need houses to live in..Were are you going to build new houses?

Everywhere else. There is a hundred & one gazillion miles of otherwise unoccupied land in the US. They needn't encroach on the National Park Systems.

highwayman

Gonz said:
Everywhere else. There is a hundred & one gazillion miles of otherwise unoccupied land in the US. They needn't encroach on the National Park Systems.

Not saying they should, There are miles of unused land in Wyoming they can build on. But houses need to be built for people to live in, not that I care to have neibors too close. As long as they are out of reach of my 30-06 they are close enough..

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
highwayman said:
But houses need to be built for people to live in,...

Yep . They just don't have to live in the Smokies or the Tetons or the Grand Canyon. They may wanna & they may think they have a right but that just ain't the case. I'm all for development-except in areas already shut off to development.

BeardofPants

People and their obsessions with having single family dwellings and the quarter-acre dream don't help either. Until we can get our heads around the limited resources thing, there will be continued subdivisions tearing up the green networks. :shrug:

Inkara1

I don't know; single-family houses are nice so then you don't have to hear the neighbors getting it on every night through the wall.

highwayman

BeardofPants said:
People and their obsessions with having single family dwellings and the quarter-acre dream

Not everybody, including myself, wants to watch their neibor eating corn flakes while taking a shit.

If you want to know when and what have you about your neibors habits keep living in the ant hill, in the mean time I'll be enjoying my five acres in peace...

BeardofPants

I have lived in apartments for the last 5 years. I've also lived in the 'burbs. And I'ved on a coupla farms. It you shop well apartment-wise, then it should be just as private as a farm. I've never had to listen to boinking through the walls, and I sure as shit can't see any neighbours, which is just as well, cos that means they can't see me stalking through the apartment starkass. :shrug:

'Burbs give me the heebie jeebies at any rate. The idea of bein' able to see yer fat neighbour sunbathing is just... ugh.

highwayman

Whatever lights your fire, I have lived in apartments and it has given me PTSD and don't know how people can live that way. But to each his own...

HomeLAN

BeardofPants said:
I have lived in apartments for the last 5 years. I've also lived in the 'burbs. And I'ved on a coupla farms. It you shop well apartment-wise, then it should be just as private as a farm. I've never had to listen to boinking through the walls, and I sure as shit can't see any neighbours, which is just as well, cos that means they can't see me stalking through the apartment starkass. :shrug:

'Burbs give me the heebie jeebies at any rate. The idea of bein' able to see yer fat neighbour sunbathing is just... ugh.

Fabulous. If it doesn't work for you, don't live there.

Speaking as the fat-ass suburbanite with his 1/2 acre and backyard pool, allow me to be the first to tell you that I intend to continue with my preferred arrangements. If you don't like that, el tough-o shit-o.

rrfield

I've got my quarter-acre "dream" in a subdivision of an extended suburb. I want to move to the country though. It's not that I don't like people....yes it is.

Did the apartment thing, didn't like hearing the upstairs neighbors do what ever they did. Poor dog.

chcr

Too cute for words
rrfield said:
I've got my quarter-acre "dream" in a subdivision of an extended suburb. I want to move to the country though. It's not that I don't like people....yes it is.

Did the apartment thing, didn't like hearing the upstairs neighbors do what ever they did. Poor dog.
Straight out my front door is a huge cotton field. I "only" have 2.2 acres myself. It's six miles to town. One of these days, when I get ambitious (and clean up the deadfall tree that the wind knocked down today), I'll post a pic from the porch.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
BeardofPants said:
Yep, in the meantime "the fat-ass suburbanite with his 1/2 acre and backyard pool"'s will continue to lead to increasing subdivisions. :shrug:

We have plenty o' room (we're not on an island). The problem here seems to be morons all wanting to live on the SAME 1/2 acre.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
highwayman said:

Bahstahn sounds like a fine place. Everybody up that way's perfect, why wouldn't anyone want to be there? Or at least to hear the relocated yankees that dwell in these parts, it's perfect there and everything we do is bass ackwards. I suppose I should be thankful that these enlightened souls deigned to dwell in my midst so they can show me all the multitudinous errors of my ways. Funny though...I'm not. I just start thinking about shotguns and shovels...:shrug:

HomeLAN

BeardofPants said:
Yep, in the meantime "the fat-ass suburbanite with his 1/2 acre and backyard pool"'s will continue to lead to increasing subdivisions. :shrug:

For which there's plenty of room without eating into existing nature reserves. As Gonz said, this ain't a small island.

Or could it be that you're regurgitating the PC line - all lifestyles should be respected, unless they're traditional and/or conservative. In those cases, it must be wiped off the face of the earth for the good of mankind.

What a gigantic truckload of hypocritical bullshit.