modular homes

Dave

anyone know anything about them?
good idea? bad idea? shady businesses? tons of unanticipated expenses?

we are in the market. with the prices the way they are around here, i was considering this as an option.

Depends on the manufacturer, the floorplan, and the cost. The manufacturer, who should recommend a good contractor to put your kit together, should let you see his factory floor, his workers, and have a list of references that will let you check out their houses before you put your signature on paper. ;)
Go here for more info...

From what I've heard, modulars are a great value and go up three times faster than a raw build. The only drawback is a lack of flexibility. Most manufacturers only pump out a half dozen styles... and even those are limited to what can basically be crammed onto the back of semis.

A friend here had one installed. Came in in 3 or 4 parts, went together fairly easily (installed by the manufacturer's installer crew).

But they divorced after less than a year, so I couldn't tell you how well they stand up over time. My only worry would be separation at the joints, and that would only be a real problem if the foundation weren't solid.

Flexibility is honestly about par with what you'd find in new construction "estates" where a builder, again, has half a dozen styles that you can pick from, and customise lightly. And that's all they'll build to keep a certain uniformity to the section (read neighbouthood).

Most manufacturers will accept some light modification to their pre-plans, provided it doesn't involve structural, heating, or plumbing. Provided you're not in any great hurry.

thanks for the input. i plan on looking into these a little more during the week. right now it seems the more cost effective way to go.
finding an open plot....well... thats another matter altogether

now that is an idea i didnt think of.
only problem is its a 6-7 year wait list for a berth.

Back