Moof, help me out.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
My wife brought something up this morning. We use our pcs to listen to music almost exclusively now. What she wants is a reciever that we can control through our pcs. Not only to play the mp3's, but probably a cd changer, and to be able to change radio stations all from our pcs. Any ideas?

Looking at those too, but that's not exactly what I want. I'm talking full control of the stereo from the PC. Been looking for recievers that support this but can't seem to find one. Surely it's been thought of by someone more twisted than myself.

The stereo will have to have some sort of interface to the PC, dunno if such a thing exists, if it does i want too :D

I found one that has an ethernet port on it, but I think it just plays the mp3's off your computer, doesn't allow you to hook up the changer and all the other stuff I want.
Here.

That looks good, but it won't do all you ask no. I just hook up my pc to the aux on my amp if i wanna blast mp3s.

I've got that already, and I know, I can just rip all the cd's so the music is here, but I want FULL control. Basically, put the remote from the stereo here on my pc. I'm looking at some of those too, you can emulate a remote from a TV from your pc with an infrared device, but it looks like a shitload of work. I'd much rather just buy a new reciever with an ethernet port and hook it up that way. I'll keep looking.

To be honest man I've never heard of any way to control a CD changer/receiver from your PC that doesn't require alot of work.

Can't you throw together a media server and hook it up to your network? Big HDD, decent soundcard, FM tuner etc... rip all your CDs and control the thing via remote desktop.

Nifty! :cool:

$250+ though - I'm sure you could slap together an HTPC/media sever for less than that with a few old bits thrown in there.

MuFu said:
Can't you throw together a media server and hook it up to your network? Big HDD, decent soundcard, FM tuner etc... rip all your CDs and control the thing via remote desktop.
That's pretty well what I've got now except for the FM tuner. I'm thinking the FM tuner card is the way to go. Thanks Everyone.:headbang:

I don't know if this applies so much to what you're doing, but I have a PC hooked to my TV as a PVR, it has a DVD, I have a Pioneer surround system, a five disc cd changer, digital cable box, and TV. Right now I control the PC with an IR keyboard with a built in trackball, and everything else from a universal remote. I'm working on programming the PC to accept commands from the universal remote, or failing that, control everything from an old Handspring Visor. The Pc is ntworked in with all the other PCs in the house, so I can get mp3s from everywhere. Oh, tuner built in to the surround system. It's kind of a brute force approach, but it got put together a piece at a time.

The only thing I would add, is that I tried using a P-III 450@558, and it just wasn't enough juice for the PVR function (if you're going to use it for that). Most of the websites I looked at agreed that 800 Mhz is the lower limit for encoding Mpegs from a TV stream.

No problem there, I've got a P4 at 1.6 and an XP1800.

AB, that's it!... Now to break the news to my wife.

Back