More from the Land of Unintended Consequences

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Decrying the inefficiency of the common light bulb, a Democratic Assemblyman from Los Angeles wants California to become the first state to ban it -- by 2012.

Assemblyman Lloyd Levine says compact fluorescent light bulbs, which often have a spiral shape and are being promoted by Wal-Mart, are so efficient that consumers should be forced to use them. The compact bulbs use a quarter the energy of a conventional light.

"Incandescent light bulbs were first developed almost 125 years ago, and since that time they have undergone no major modifications," said Levine, who represents Sherman Oaks. "It's time to take a step forward."

Apparently Australia is considering this also. All but 3 of my household lights have CFLs. I think they're a great idea. However, having the nanny state ban a reasonable option is ridiculous.

On the upside, in order for flourescents to work, they need what hazardous material? hehe

FoxNews

They also cannot be dimmed. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there is a three-way CFL made, though. But if the power dips, it can ruin the ballast and render the CFL inoperable. Not common but I've seen it happen.

I find CFL very hard on my eyes when I read or do needlework. I use a halogen lamp because I get such a bright, even light on the material.

Fluorescents seem to shatter if I have anything to do with them. And they hurt my eyes, too.

We have halogen ceiling lights, and I think I'd rather live in more dark with fewer lightbulbs than have fluorescents.

Halogens are great worklights but they're so damned tempermental. Anytime one needs a pair of Surgeon General approved temperature controlled anti-cling anti-static, anti-body odor gloves in order to put a new bulb in...

I'm so excited about the CFLs though. Once some nice white middle class minivan driving soccer mom realizes there's mercury in them thar bulbs, all hell is gonna break loose. She might even be the wife of a has been Senator who'll later get an Oscar for his movie about global cooling.

I found the three-way CFL at Wal-Mart... they've got a bunch of them here. Maybe it's a California thing.

Most of the ones I've bought have been the four for $1 ones that show up at Food 4 Less from time to time, though, instead of the higher-quality ones.

I get the Lowes multi-pack. Not those 13w ones either...that just isn't enough power.

The ones that usually go on sale that cheap are the 100W equivalent... I think they consume 23W.

florecsents are cheaper to run, just make that the insentive to use them, not a ban.

This guy is not a tree hugger, he is a tree humper

I bought 2 of those lights, back before Christmas.
I'm hoping they might last longer.
I'm not really happy with the color, but it'll do.

Back