More from the land of unintended consequences

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
As if adding tons of mercury to the environment by wanting (or in some cases forcing) us to use CFL bulbs, the green crowd is introducing a huge drain on our economy by wanting (or in some cases forcing) us to use ethanol.

Not only does it cut your fuel economy by 15%-25%, it is a supply side drain on agriculture (corn) so our food prices will skyrocket. Can't feed the cows so dairy shoots up. Can't make cornsyrup so pop & other sweetened foodstuffs increase.

But whoda thunk it? Wanting to use corn as a base for ethanol will jack your liquor bill too.

Still, about one-quarter of those who grow agave, which is used in the production of tequila, are expected to burn their fields to make way for corn, as prices have nearly doubled from what they were a year ago, due to US ethanol demand.

Agave is not the only casualty of the corn-based ethanol craze. Mexican beans, potatoes, rice, and barley have all been mowed over for corn, a crop whose origins reside in ancient Mexican lore but has long been associated with poverty: corn farmers who can't compete and head north, Mexicans who can afford nothing but.

Source

Every time they get their way, it costs us dearly.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
They are if you're an American wanting a margarita.

Using corn, THE major food source in the US, as a alternative fuel (what alternative...it's still gasoline) instead of something like beets or cane sugar,
which are far better sources of energy, was just idiotic.

Winky

Any concept of how much bio-mass it would take to convert the USA over to non-dinosaur based energy?

Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

chcr

Too cute for words
They are if you're an American wanting a margarita.

Using corn, THE major food source in the US, as a alternative fuel (what alternative...it's still gasoline) instead of something like beets or cane sugar,
which are far better sources of energy, was just idiotic.

Erm... tequila isn't made from corn.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Erm... tequila isn't made from corn.

That's right. It's made from Agave...which the Mexicans are overplanting with corn because ethanol has driven th ecorn prices through the roof.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
A majority of the mixer agents are though.

Guess you have to stick with those fruity 'smoothie' type drinks, eh? :D

I've been known to make pina coladas with just rum, 'fresh' pineapple, ice, and coconut milk...You just need a blender that will handle the ice-crushing part, and you're all set.

chcr

Too cute for words
A majority of the mixer agents are though.
3 parts of tequila
2 parts of orange flavored liqueur
1 part of fresh lime juice
Coarse kosher salt
Lime wedge
Ice cubes
:confused:

That's right. It's made from Agave...which the Mexicans are overplanting with corn because ethanol has driven th ecorn prices through the roof.

Ahh... I gotcha now.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
3 parts of tequila
2 parts of orange flavored liqueur
1 part of fresh lime juice
Coarse kosher salt
Lime wedge
Ice cubes
:confused:

Ahh... I gotcha now.

You use orange flavored liquor? I use fresh-squeezed orange juice.

woodman19_99

For Margarita's:

2 cans of budlight (or any other cheap beer)
1 container of frozen concentrate limeade
Refill empy limeade container with tequila

Mix with ice, serve with a lime.

Sounds awful, I know, but it is actually really good. Gets ya pretty sloppy to, if that's your goal.

unclehobart

I was thinking more of the premix bottles. Those are full of adjuncty bypasses based upon corn. If you're going to actually use real components, then the sheer price of citrus is going to do you in faster than corn would.

Besides, by law, tequila can be made of up to 49% corn grain or cane liquor. Only the top shelf stuff is agave pure.

chcr

Too cute for words
I was thinking more of the premix bottles. Those are full of adjuncty bypasses based upon corn. If you're going to actually use real components, then the sheer price of citrus is going to do you in faster than corn would.

Besides, by law, tequila can be made of up to 49% corn grain or cane liquor. Only the top shelf stuff is agave pure.

Well, who drinks the cheap shit anyway? ;)

It's okay, I wouldn't pry your mouth open and poor one down your throat anyway. Tonksy would beat me up and it's darned embarrassing getting beat up by a girl.

chcr

Too cute for words
You use orange flavored liquor? I use fresh-squeezed orange juice.

Grand Marnier, actually. Honestly, I prefer brandy or whisky neat or rocks to concoctions in general anyway.

Edit: If I'm going to drink tequila (which I try to avoid) I prefer swapping body shots with remarkably well endowed young women. If I had my druthers...

unclehobart

Grand Marnier is some righteously expensive stuff.

Lets see... you guys are mixing top shelf with fresh citrus and some righteously expensive liquers. Hell... your drinks are already costing $5 a pop in raw materials. Who gives a shit about the 5% impact that corn would have at that point anyhow?

Whats next? Rare red Hawaii seas salt for the rims?; organic hand-picked high altitude limes from the remote parts of Mexico?; hand blown glasses that you use only once and then smash?

If it wern't for these $7 beers that I drink, I might actually be shocked. :lloyd:

Here's to being white (with pardons to Gato), uptight, and outta sight with too much money and free time. *salute*

chcr

Too cute for words
Try to find the guava nectar to mix a real navy grog sometime.

NAVY GROG(Trader Verne's FAVE!)

2 PARTS DARK RUM (1 OZ)
2 PARTS LIGHT RUM (1 OZ)
2 PARTS 86-PROOF DEMERARA RUM (1 OZ)
1 1/2 PARTS GUAVA JUICE (3/4 OZ)
1 1/2 PARTS FRESH LIME JUICE (3/4 OZ)
1 1/2 PARTS PINEAPPLE JUICE (3/4 OZ)
1 1/2 PARTS ORGEAT (ALMOND) SYRUP (3/4 OZ)
FALERNUM (1 FULL TBSP)

MIX VIOLENTLY IN SHAKER
WITH HANDFUL OF
CRACKED ICE FOR 10
SECONDS. POUR INTO DOUBLE
OLD-FASHIONED GLASS, SANS
SHAKER ICE. SERVE
WITH ICE CONE (SHAVED ICE
PRESSED INTO PILSNER
GLASS; MAKE HOLE IN CENTER
OF ICE WITH CHOPSTICK,
INSERT STRAW IN HOLE,
INVERT GLASS AND ICE CONE
SLIDES OUT. PUT ICE CONE IN
FREEZER FOR 20 OR 30
MINUTES. THIS SHOULD BE DONE PRIOR TO
BUILDING YOUR PERFECT NAVY GROG!)
GARNISH WITH MINT SPRIG &
GARDENIA FLOWER.
DON THE BEACHCOMBER ORIGINATED THIS DRINK
AND LIMITED ANY CUSTOMER TO THREE.
TRADER VERNE SUGGESTS IMBIBING ONLYTWO.
AT THE MOST!
(THISRECIPE MAKES ONE NAVY GROG)

Spending most of your young adulthood in bars has "unintended consequences." :rofl: