movies that make you cry

kuulani

My husband doesn't understand my love for movies that make me cry. I just saw JERSEY GIRL and cried and cried.

My other favorite crying movies are:
A Walk to Remember
Armegeddon
Ghost

What's yours?

I love tragedies, kuu... and as a rule, really dislike movies with happy endings. :D

These are my favorite tearjerkers:
Fellini's La Strada
Zeffirelli's La Traviata

Endings of both "Saving Private Ryan" and "Schindler's List". The ending of "Courage Under Fire" always does it to me, as well.

Professur said:

I watched part of that this morning. It makes me cry too.

Recently I have been crying about stupid love stories. I cry because it's all sweet and crap and then I cry cause I am sad about recent events in my life and then I get angry cuz as much as I love and want to believe in my fairytales, I know that it is never going to happen.

Ya, I'm a whackjob.

now, how did i know that ku'u started this thread? :D

"My Girl" kills me ..
"A Walk To Remember" makes me cry, no matter what
"Sweet November" .. sobbing like a damned fool

I'm sure there's more but I'm gonna start bawling just thinking about it :D

I read A Walk to Remember and I was sobbing all the way through it so I never saw it.

What dreams May Come is my number one tear jerker.

top gun (when goose dies)
gone with the wind (just about all of it)
casablanca (when she gets on the plane)
devdas (an indian film - i cried at the end...i recommend this if you can deal with 2+ hours of subtitles.)
an affair to remember (the orginal only...weird, eh?)
the piano (again at the end)

also...songs make me boohoo...off the top of my head i can think of steve wariner's holes in the floor of heaven and tim mcgraw's don't take the girl...i can only get as far as "johnny's daddy was taking him fishing" before i turn on the waterworks on that one.

BeardofPants said:
The English Patient. :crying4:

It made me cry...because it took him so fucking long to die....burnt men do not tell tall tales...they rest and then die like expected.

devdas (an indian film - i cried at the end...i recommend this if you can deal with 2+ hours of subtitles.)

WHY WHY WHY? Why does no one get that Devdas was a drunk fuck who didn't have the balls to take control of his life so he choose to drink himself to death. The real torturous part of that movie was his friend who introduced him to drinking...never, NEVER has a more annoying character been invented. Jackie Shroff is an awesome actor but god knows he worked my nerves in that movie.

I laughed at Devdas's death, but with that said Paro's fate was ruined and the ending is quite sad...serves us right. We deserve a sad ending for sitting through 3hrs of that self-loathing BS.

The only reason to watch that movie is for the aesthetic value. I must give credit where it is due. The movie's set design and cinematography was simply brilliant and while giving verbal descriptions doesn't not do the movie an ounce of justice Tonks will know what I am talking about.

Hey Tonksy...remember that scene where Paro and Devdas are sitting in a swing in his backyard under the moonlight and everything is lit brilliant blue. Fucking incredible, just has to be seen.

Professur said:

Didn't cry but the part where her best friend croakes and is offed is a downer. That movie was just fun to watch. The little girl was sweet and endearing...don't know what happened in the sequel because she got old and annoying real fast.

I am surprised no one mentioned Bambi.

'tis okay, buttie, we all know that the only reason you'd cry would be if someone was dangling over a cliff whilst holding onto yer rectum hairs. :la:

BeardofPants said:
'tis okay, buttie, we all know that the only reason you'd cry would be if someone was dangling over a cliff whilst holding onto yer rectum hairs. :la:

Oh come now...I am a softie at heart. There just has been no movie so far to tug me heart strings. Either they are overdone or completely unrealistic.

The English Patient was so hyped when it came out by everyone.

"You must see it..it will move you"..It moved me...to turn it off.

Anyone remember the Titanic hoopla? I had wished jack died before he got on the damn ship.

bob...um...oops...the movie i meant was not devdas...that is one i have slated to watch and since you've described it i shall be more inclined to watch it sooner. the one i meant i still can't come up with the title but it is set during partition...a hindu girl is kidnapped by a muslim boy (thus ruining her honor) to settle an old family score. the muslim guy is in love with her and marries her, names her hamida and has it tattooed on her forearm as is custom (which eventually saves her life). hamida has the chance in the end to go back to her family years later but doesn't because the muslim man has been so good to her that she falls in love with him despite herself....do you know this one? i loved it.

tonks said:
bob...um...oops...the movie i meant was not devdas...that is one i have slated to watch and since you've described it i shall be more inclined to watch it sooner. the one i meant i still can't come up with the title but it is set during partition...a hindu girl is kidnapped by a muslim boy (thus ruining her honor) to settle an old family score. the muslim guy is in love with her and marries her, names her hamida and has it tattooed on her forearm as is custom (which eventually saves her life). hamida has the chance in the end to go back to her family years later but doesn't because the muslim man has been so good to her that she falls in love with him despite herself....do you know this one? i loved it.

Funny...the movie I am thinking of is the exact opposite. A sikh saves a Muslim girl by marrying her and they eventually fall in love but as usual the muslim family does not approve and the girls father does his best to ruin his daughters family.

IDLEchild said:
Funny...the movie I am thinking of is the exact opposite. A sikh saves a Muslim girl by marrying her and they eventually fall in love but as usual the muslim family does not approve and the girls father does his best to ruin his daughters family.
i am beginning to think that is a common plot used. there is no alcoholic in the movie i speak of though.

Back