Movies, translations, and subtitles

Jeslek

Banned
OK I have a question, to better understand some cultures. For those of you in non-English countries, are the movies in the theaters translated, or are they subtitled, or nothing at all? I know in Malaysia and Singapore they are just as they are here in Canada and the USA, English with no subtitles. Do you prefer it that way? Or do you want to read the subtitles in your own language? Or would you even prefer to hear a translation?

i know that in germany the tendency is toward dubbing of german language over the original voicetrack. i think in finland they use english subtitles for most mainstream releases.

Movies for kids are usually in two forms, translated and original language with subtitles.
The rest of the films are in their original language and with subs.

My preference:
- Always the original language, i don't care if it is chinese, and subtitles in my own language.

So Luis, you are pretty good in English, do you still read the subtitles?

Personally I would hate it. English is my second language and I don't want any subtitles in my first.

personally speaking if its a foreign movie or anime, i prefer it in the native tongue(ie if chinese i prefer chinese with english subtitles,same wither german,french,russian,polish, etc whatever the language) that way it seems more natural and nothing is being taken out so to speak. its the way it was.

LastLegionary said:
So Luis, you are pretty good in English, do you still read the subtitles?

I usually don't read them, but some accents are difficult for me, especially the one in South USA, Australia and some parts of England (i can understand Justin perfectly :D ). Subs are just handy when they are speaking with such accents or when i hear an unknown word.

Like I said on the chat before, the same thing Luis said applies to the Netherlands. I appreciate and read the subtitles, it's a whole lot better than just translating it too, like french and germans do often (if not always). Not to offend anyone, but: they're freakin' lunatics when it comes to movies and television in general.

In the german speaking countries all movies are dubbed. However, most movies are avaible in their original language in certain cinemas. So you have the choice.

Dubbing is a mixed blessing. Sometimes the dubbing is eqivalent or even superior (just because voice actors are cast for their voice unlike the original actors), but certain genres (comedies especially) lose alot when ripped out of the original tongue

i saw first of all dubbed in a german cinema. it was brilliant, a beautfully made film, excellent acting and a great script.

it kinda helped i speak almost no german and so was making it up in my head. the english version was tits. :(

Luis G said:
Movies for kids are usually in two forms, translated and original language with subtitles.
The rest of the films are in their original language and with subs.
Same thing here. I prefer them in the original language with subtitles in portuguese or english...

Back