MSNBC's best road trips

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
The secret's out...it's purty here!

Tennessee, Johnson City to Gatlinburg

So dang gorgeous, these 90 miles of rural Tennessee might inspire you to grab a banjo and strum an Appalachian love song. Take U.S. Route 11E toward Davy Crockett's birthplace (Everyone: "Born on a mountaintop..."). At Greenville, where two homes of Andrew Johnson anchor a presidential historic site, veer onto U.S. Route 321, skirting the majestic Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Next day, depending on your preference, visit the park or, for mountains of a different kind, nearby Dollywood.

OK, so they can't spell Greeneville correctly. Still pretty cool.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6576151

Luis G said:
You have a Monterrey too?
No, we have a Monterey. Different spelling. Pretty area, too, but just as expensive as anywhere else on the California coast.

unc, I know, but I find it odd to have 2 towns with the same name in the same country (when was mexican territory). It happens here too with really really small towns.

Inky, they come from the same choice of words "Monte Rey" (king mount), on our side it was put together and corrected so the r sounded hard (hence the RR). It was probably right to write Monterey before the war.

And I'm starting to wonder how you guys pronounce "Monterey" :D

I love the Gatlinburg area of Tennessee. In fact, will be driving through there on my return from Richmond next month. :)

Stand outside and wave, SN'P.

The best drive I ever had was going across Montana. It was green, rolling hills, light mountains, sharp turns, bright, vibrant colors... blacks, reds, greens... lazy rivers, clean air... sweet.

TexasRaceLady said:
I love the Gatlinburg area of Tennessee. In fact, will be driving through there on my return from Richmond next month. :)

Stand outside and wave, SN'P.

Dayum, gimme a holler TRL. I'll take ya out for some good ol' mountain cookin'! God knows there ain't none left in Tourism Central...

Luis G said:
unc, I know, but I find it odd to have 2 towns with the same name in the same country (when was mexican territory). It happens here too with really really small towns.

They also have a City with the same name as the state "New York ,New York ,how whacked is that . :evilcool:

Back