my evening

unclehobart

I had been doing a simple long term walk upon this treadmill I have in my living room for the early part of the evening. I had just hit the 5 mile mark at about 7:48pm when my room mate bounds up from her basement quarters and says that they are flat broke and about to go to a local trivia contest at an American Pie party bar. First place was $125, second $55, third $25. I was hungry and a bit tired and intitially poo-pooed the idea as being to little advance warning. (the contest was to start at 8pm... not nearly enough time to get out there) After about 15 seconds of frowning, I said 'sure... lets go... I can always drink a little Guinness in place of real food.' We show up... its a slow night. Only 9 teams have registered for the contest. We blow the first question... yippie!... bad omen.

The whole contest angle on Thursday nights is 'music' trivia. We felt that we were good at it... after all... 2 of us are in bands and one of us manages a band. We're just very broad in our music trivia. The whole night we are just firmly entrenched in 3rd place. I'm 3 pints of Guinness into the evening. My friends are nursing sodas and a basket of tortilla chips. We go into the final question with the top three teams having 97, 95, and 92 points... my team having the 92. The final question is for 20 points. You can wager any of that amount or none at all. The final question:

The Beatles 'All You Need is Love' song intro was from the national anthem of what country?

Paralyzed looks covered the crowd... much murmuring... I smile for I knew it in 2 seconds. No other team got it right. We won, and won big. My friends covered my tab and tip and walked away with the remainder $100.

They brought me home and dropped me off and promptly turned around to go off to buy groceries and cigarettes as they had nothing at all.

All in all... 3 free pints ... a little brain labor... and I made my friends very happy. I think they want to make Thursday night our permanent trivia night. What the heck... it gets them out of the house and lifts their spirits for a change. I'm so used to them being such entrenched homebodies on the edge of depression that I am happy to oblige. I just wish that the place had some form of food that I could consume.

Leslie said:
so you won and they went shopping? :alienhuh:

not much has changed eh?
Nothing changed for me... but the roomies were happy. They haven't shown a spark of cooperation towards each other or happiness in general for quite a while. It was definitely different.

Going from broke to $100 in hand sure helped as well. They were as giddy as teenagers.

I saved the score sheet. Shall I ask the questions of you? I could probably drag this thread out to 4 pages asking all 20 questions. But... in thinking about it... 5 were audio clues that I can't reproduce here and 5 were specific lyric bridges that I probably couldn't reproduce if you had a gun to my noggin.

well...you know what I think of the whole thing ;)

the Thursday thing might be a good thing for you anyway.

unclehobart said:
I saved the score sheet. Shall I ask the questions of you? I could probably drag this thread out to 4 pages asking all 20 questions. But... in thinking about it... 5 were audio clues that I can't reproduce here and 5 were specific lyric bridges that I probably couldn't reproduce if you had a gun to my noggin.
why the hell not?

I started watching Gangs of New York 6 1/2 hours ago. Interruptions keep delaying it. I probably will have to finish it up over lunch tomorrow.

Question 1: This rockstars death in 1971 was kept secret for 6 days.

unclehobart said:
I started watching Gangs of New York 6 1/2 hours ago. Interruptions keep delaying it. I probably will have to finish it up over lunch tomorrow.

Question 1: This rockstars death in 1971 was kept secret for 6 days.
jim morrison?

Correct (morrison). We missed that one. 3 of us chewing over it for 5 minutes and we all drew total blanks. We're still beating ourselves over the head over that one.

#2 This person wasn't in a band, but sang once with the Backstreet Boys in Berlin in (97?) for a lark and was promptly given a record deal. Who was it?

unclehobart said:
Correct (morrison). We missed that one. 3 of us chewing over it for 5 minutes and we all drew total blanks. We're still beating ourselves over the head over that one.

#2 This person wasn't in a band, but sang once with the Backstreet Boys in Berlin in (97?) for a lark and was promptly given a record deal. Who was it?
hmm...dido? but that's just a stab in the dark...

#3 Sissy Spacek portrayed what country singing legend for a movie? (all but one team answered this one instantly)

#4 What living singer, who was a friend of Ben and Jerry of the ice cream fame, had a flavor named for one of his songs?

unclehobart said:
#3 Sissy Spacek portrayed what country singing legend for a movie? (all but one team answered this one instantly)

#4 What singer, who was a friend of Ben and Jerry of the ice cream fame, had a flavor named for one of his songs?
#3 loretta lynn
#4 jerry garcia

Sorry .. had to edit #4 to clarify away from Jerry Garcia. Edit your answer and retry. (only one team got it right. We didn't. We said PHISH for PHISH food... but thats a band... not a person)

#3 correct

Back