my gas furnace

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
is short-cycling. The maintenance people here will get to it sometime next spring surely, but in the meantime...I know it's a waste of gas...but is it dangerous? should I be freaking out?

ABSOLUTLY YOU SHOUD BE FREAKING-OUT!

I have no Idea about furnaces, but I love a good panic attack.

what is short-cycling? qwick on-off cycles? does it have anything to do with ambient temps of summer?

I did a little research. It won't pose an imminent threat to members of the family, but it can cause premature wear. Maybe the controls are set funky... also, make sure the filter's not clogged. The el cheapo fiber filters need to be replaced once a month ideally, and not longer than three months. But I've seen those kind of filters that have been left in so long they're absolutely caked with dirt. 3M Filtrete filters last a little longer but still need to be changed every 3 months or so.

As Inky said its probably just a filter,but I've never dealt with gas furnaces,we've always had oil fired.If you don't already have one I'd recommend getting a carbonmonoxide detector .You might also call the non-emergency number for your local firehall and ask if they think its a hazard?

Leslie said:
is short-cycling. The maintenance people here will get to it sometime next spring surely, but in the meantime...I know it's a waste of gas...but is it dangerous? should I be freaking out?

Your gas people use socialized medicine as a reference point?

A.B.Normal said:
I've never dealt with gas furnaces,we've always had oil fired.
Should be really similar besides what fuels the fire in the burner. You still have a heat anticipator in the thermostat.

no...the gas people come immediately when beckoned. the maintenance dudes in my townhouse complex however, not so much.

I told them today I would like a new thermostat, he said he'd bring one down in a couple weeks, I made it so I'm gonna go to his office in the morning and grab one and do it my damned self.

Back