My latest border crossing

spike

Went on vacation last week to Desert Hot Springs (near Palm Springs) and we took a day trip down to the Salton Sea and Mexicali to pick up some of the GF's meds on the cheap. Why is it that we can get the same medication in Mexico for 1/3 the price anyway?

Crossing into Mexico was still the unmanned one-way revolving gate I've grown used to in Tijuana. Mexicali is a total different experience though with very few english speaking people compared to TJ. Really put my spanish skills to the test just to communicate what we needed.

Coming back into the US we got a little different treatment from the border agent then the usual TJ "wave us on without checking our bags or ID". This guy actually wanted to see our IDs and asked why we were visiting Mexico. My GF being the honest type said "just trying to get my medication cheaper" and so that got her bag searched and the drugs inspected.

So while that was going on I mentioned that we usually just get waved past without a second look in TJ and the agent told me that officially they don't need to ask for ID at this point and just sort of randomly check.

Apparently at the beginning of next year you will actually need a passport to visit (or maybe just return from Mexico).

So anyone buying into the War on Terror bullshit want to tell me why it takes until 2008 to require checking IDs to come into the country?

To stop drug smugglers I guess.

I agree. You should have been stopped long ago. Welcome to the 21st Century, where security overrides convenience.

Next time try Walgreen's like everyone else.

To stop drug smugglers I guess.

I agree. You should have been stopped long ago. Welcome to the 21st Century, where security overrides convenience.

Next time try Walgreen's like everyone else.

They're not interested in stopping drug smugglers. That's been obvious for a long time now. Since I was a kid if not before.

Note that he didn't say "confiscated." I don't Think it's illegal to buy prescription meds outside the country, is it?

Drugs are cheaper in Mexico because the entire food chain operates on a much reduced financial standard of economy. Mexcian legislation allows for pretty much an instant jump into generic medication whereas the Euro/American connection has to wait out umpteen years to get past exclusive rights. The Euro/American companies that manufacure the drugs have to recoup the cost of R&D on top of basic marketing and a hefty profit... else there is no incentive to make new drugs. Countries like Mexico aren't hamstrung by this R&D cost... they just get to manufacture the drug outright. The problem is that the technical expertise of the staffing of Mexican drug making companies is almost unregulated. The drug you are getting, albiet 90% of the time it is OK, can be improperly made, the wrong dosage level, outdated ingredients leading to wild fluxes in quality from batch to batch. The street level pharmacies have little oversight or licensing compared to the states... so outright counterfits can be common if you aren't careful.

i'll sometimes buy the 400mg liquid caps of advil when i'm in canada, along with neo-citran and president's choice macaroni and cheese... can't get those things here... but meds from mexico? not a chance. like unc said, quality control concerns...

hey anyone up for some chinese meds? :D

Unc said:
Countries like Mexico aren't hamstrung by this R&D cost...

Does anyone recall the last time Mexico researched & developed a new life saving medicine? Me either.

Hell, I barely trust their tequila...I sure as shit ain't buying their version of Lipitor.

They're not interested in stopping drug smugglers. That's been obvious for a long time now. Since I was a kid if not before.

Note that he didn't say "confiscated." I don't Think it's illegal to buy prescription meds outside the country, is it?

No they weren't confiscated. It's perfectly legal and just slowed us down a couple minutes.

Security certainly isn't overriding anything when at this point border guards are still not required to check IDs at all.

Hell, I barely trust their tequila...I sure as shit ain't buying their version of Lipitor.

We didn't get "their version" of anything on this trip. Same drugs, same manufacturer, same packaging.

Should have picked up some tequila too.

Some sources believe that 80% of this country's illicit methamphetamine is manufactured in Mexico and from what I know I believe it. I was "in the know" about a lot of big movements in this area and ultimately the source of it was always Mexicans. Years ago there were a lot of small time organic chemists in the Quilcene area, in fact back in about '98 one could literally follow one's nose to the cook's house, but back in those days the "shit" (and "shit" is what it's called, and it's quite appropriate) Was all differnt sorts, some was white powder with yellow chunks and some was reddish chalky lumps and sometimes it would stink of solvents. Nowadays, it's all "ice", and resembles quartz crystal or rock salt. Having "cooked" it myself before I know that only the most controlled and scientifically conducted batches come out as ice, average run of the mill bathtub shit always comes out a lot lower quality. It does make me wonder how they are getting this shit across the border, because I have heard tell of literal 50 Gallon drums filled with it.

BTW even at a good wholesale price a 50 gallon drum full of meth is worth in excess of a million dollars.

Coming back from TJ on a couple occasions I had large shopping bags that nobody even glanced at. Could have smuggled anything in them.

I'm hoping a 50 gallon drum would have raised some eyebrows.

When you see 5,000,000 55-gallon drums each & every day, you grow numb. NAFTA doncha know (which I was & still am for)

Coming back from TJ on a couple occasions I had large shopping bags that nobody even glanced at. Could have smuggled anything in them.

I'm hoping a 50 gallon drum would have raised some eyebrows.

Diesel trucks often have two fuel tanks. They only need one full of fuel to get there.

Back