My review of Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon"

markjs

Banned
Four stars out of five possible

While not easy enough to just jump right into as a Windows replacement, the day has come when it is viable for "non expert" level users.

I have just tried Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon", and I am pleased to say I think the age of Linux gaining market share is here, or just over the horizon. For ANYONE interested in breaking out of the Micro$oft, monopoly driven market, I suggest you try it!

You see I am a Windows professional, and I deal with idiots all day long and I have to be nice to them or I'd lose my job. Give me a Windows box with a problem and I can fix it, and the one and only time I failed to, it was because the woman was convinced that since I didn't get all the ghosts out of the machine the first time that I was incompetent.

The thing about Linux is, is that I have always wanted to use it for my personal use as a Windows replacement. I have tried it many times over the years and I saw progress, but I never saw the "light at the end of the tunnel" anywhere near as much as I do with Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon". I decided that at the point where I could use it as a full Windows replacement is the point at which I would start recommending Linux to "true dummies". I could have learned Linux at any point in the past, but I did not want to bother until it was a viable Windows replacement for the common man. You see i have never had that "think different" mentality, nor have I had that anti Windows mentality. Windows 98 was pretty decent for it's era, and XP was Micro$oft'$ crowning achievement. I love XP, and it is a very good OS, and especially for the wealth of idiots that use computers.

Enter Vi$ta, which is an OK OS. Honestly it isn't near as bad as ME was no matter what some say. But it's nowhere near as good as XP was, and I see it for what it is, Micro$oft$ way to force the market to ply their game, and since the republican administration green lighted the monopoly back when the case was going on, they are a monopoly and they can do that. Vi$ta is something I recommend to home users. Its is and should be a complete failure in the business sector. If I had a business customer ask I would send the Linux's way, or tell them to stick with NT, 2000, or XP (whatever they currently have). But now when a home user comes to me, depending on his/her needs, I am pleased to say that I can also endorse Ubuntu, and actually recommend it over Vista for some upgraders.

In the past most of the Linux geeks I asked for help had this attitude. The attitude that all versions of Windows were garbage, and anyone who didn't pour over arcane "man pages" and know all manner of arcane command line 'nix commands was just an idiot too pathetic to waste their time helping. You see if I had the desire, I could have easily learned that on my own by doing just that, but my only reason for interest was to find a Windows replacement for the common man. Ubuntu, and the people on this board have finally shown me that day is here.

So for anyone who already knows and loves Linux, and wants to see it compete with Micro$oft, in the home PC market, any time you come across a noob, be kind, be gentle, because if you want Linux to gain widespread acceptance and challenge the Micro$oft monopoly, you only hurt the cause when you lose patience with noobs.

My biggest problem with MS is, and always has been ... I want an operating system, they want to sell me a suite of add ons locked to an OS. I want to be able to pick and choose which backup software I install. I found a better defragger. I really am not a fan of their GUI. In fact ... I don't want a GUI at all. They don't give me that option. With the older systems, I could edit and force W98 to operate as a command line interface, and save the system resources for actually doing the work, but the newer ones won't even give me that. So I'm stuck needing a machine 4 times as powerful to do a job as needed ... or to look at it another way ... feeding an industry to piss away quality control in favour of higher benchmarks which I can't even benefit from.

Just sell me a damn operating system. If I want the rest from you ... I'll buy that too.

No offense but where's the review? ;)

What I like (and sometimes dislike) about 7.10 is the already enabled 3d desktop. However the installer is not as solid as it was in 7.04. Many computers boot up fine in 7.04 but not on 7.10, granted it can be a kernel issue and not ubuntu's fault but still a bit odd.

Another annoying thing is the lack of video codecs, since it is meant to be open source, forget about a system ready to play mp3, divx, xvid or dvds. You need to do some extra work to get it done. Not that I mind and not that it is big of a problem, but from the dummy perspective editing a /etc/apt/sources.list file can be a huge pain, let alone compiling packages from scratch.

Back