My Saab Story.....

markjs

Banned
Someone gave me a car, specifically a Saab. All that is wrong with it is it is hotwired (but don't worry it is in my name, it's just that the key is lost), and it needs a water pump. It's a 1980 Saab 900, and it has a water pump that is internal to the engine. It requires a special puller tool that cost me $130 and it will require me to buy a $40 press kit and a $40 rebuild kit. Damn expensive for a poor guy and a "free car". I don't know why I rold you this....I guess just to vent my frustration. Hopefully I will soon be driving my first European auto. :D

No, Saab is Sweedish. Very different mechanically than any other car. Isuzu is Japanese and Saturn is GM.

GM owns Saab now (Ford owns Volvo) and they have a deep partnetship with Isuzu. However, Saab was still independent in 1980.

Beggars can't be choosers. First you drive Eurotrash cars, then you want real Champagne & finally you "can't take these hillbillies" & will move to The Netherlands & complain that America sucks. Only to be awakened to the fact that Amierca is everywhere & owns everything...except the EU Constitution which is way too confusing for words.

markjs said:
It requires a special puller tool that cost me $130 and it will require me to buy a $40 press kit and a $40 rebuild kit. Damn expensive for a poor guy and a "free car". I don't know why I rold you this....I guess just to vent my frustration. Hopefully I will soon be driving my first European auto. :D

Um, you ought to look around, see if there is possibly 'anyone' that might
possibly have the puller, and press you could use, or that would do that part cheap.

That's still pretty cheap for a free car. We usually figured a grand for every car we bought/took before it was good enough.

Beggars can't be choosers. First you drive Eurotrash cars, then you want real Champagne & finally you "can't take these hillbillies" & will move to The Netherlands & complain that America sucks. Only to be awakened to the fact that Amierca is everywhere & owns everything...except the EU Constitution which is way too confusing for words.
wtf? where did that come from? LOL

That's why we need more posting between the RW & LL. I work my way up. When I start at a "taxes & regualtions are good" thread & have no buffer when the next thread is I got a free Saab....well, sue me :shrug:

:D

Inkara1 said:
GM owns Saab now (Ford owns Volvo) and they have a deep partnetship with Isuzu. However, Saab was still independent in 1980.

*does an "I told you so" dance*

Mark, couldn't you have rented the tools? Most parts shops have a rental service for specialty tools. I have to rent a TECH1 just to work on the brakes of the minivan.

There is relatively little need for Saab tools therefore there is no place locally that has them. It seems the best I can do it to buy the tools then sell them when I am done.

DO you have Auto Zone in WA? They loan unusual tools for free (deposit required)

1977-1980 Saab 900s are too obscure. Auto zone does not have the tool but thanks for trying to help. I actually have already bought the $130 tool so it's too late on that one. Still I am wired in with some Saab owners groups and I think I'll find a home for the tool with relatively little trouble..

How long do you plan to keep the car, and how long do water pumps last, especially from places like Kragen? If the former is long and the latter is short, if you ship the tool off you would probably regret it later.

Welcome to the world of owning a European car. Ask me about my Audi (lately named problem child)...When they are running, they're absolutely fabulous...when they're broke, they are hard broke. :( :nerd:

Back