Naw, no growth in my area.

HomeLAN

The historic negotiations to expand I-75 and I-575 above the Perimeter partly with private money and tolls have made big news statewide. They may also have overshadowed news just as stunning: the project's sheer size.

The total expansion project from the Perimeter to Hickory Grove Road, north of Wade Green Road, on I-75 and up to Sixes Road on I-575 would gobble up nearly 200 more acres along the highways.

"It's overwhelming," said Melissa Hart, a Marietta resident who came to a recent public information meeting on the project. "It's overkill."

State transportation officials insist it's necessary. Partly because of long-haul freight, peak traffic already turns the interchange with I-285 into one big truck stop, and it's only going to get worse, they say.

"Traffic volumes on I-75 are approaching values very seldom seen throughout the country," said Darryl VanMeter, a state Department of Transportation engineer who is directing the project.

Preliminary projections show I-75 traffic rising from 347,000 vehicles a day now to a possible 401,000 by 2030, VanMeter said.

A list the Federal Highway Administration keeps of the biggest American highways already puts I-75 at the top, with 15 lanes across at some points. It depends on how you count; California reports a stretch of I-5 south of Los Angeles with 26 lanes, including auxiliary and transition lanes. The I-75 project is still being developed, but the current concept would put the highway in the 20-plus class, adding four lanes in each direction.

Source - may require free registration

This is where I live and work. They're talking about a stretch that includes the exit I use to go home every night. I can remember when this stretch was 6 or 8 lanes, and how massive it seemed when they expanded it the last time (to a max of 15).

I'll tell you this though - this may not be the right plan, but it ain't overkill. We have to figure out some way to manage the situation, because right now it's bordering on unliveable.

well, I've said it before......
It'll definitely take better engineering than I'm capable of putting together
to solve the traffic problems in Atl.

I'm like some of the rads....I don't have a solution, but I can bitch about when it doesn't work. :lol2:

Back