Need help before my head explodes

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
So, I installed AC3filter last night to get sound for a video I was watching on windows media player 10...now I can't get mp3s to play...I have uninstalled the Ac3filter, rolled back WMP to the previous version, reinstalled WMP 10 and still NOTHING. I'm getting this:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

These are mp3 files that I have played many times before and i've tried many different songs with no luck...PLEASE HELP!

Go to Control Panel, audio devices, open the hardware tab. Select audio codecs and click on properties.

Look for Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec

If it is listed in there, double click on it and check if the codec is enabled.

Cp>system>hardware>sound/video/gamecontrollers>Audio codecs

*wasn't sure how techy Nixy is.:nerd:

Thanks but I dated brainsoft for over 2 years, I can find my way around a computer...I just don't know the specifics sometimes :p

Oh and Luis, enabled and functioning properly apparently :confused:

Try to increase its priority, maybe a higher priority codec is being used instead of it.

btw, WMP is crap, you can always download foobar 2000 or Winamp. If you care too much about displaying on the messenger which song you are listening to there's a winamp plugin for it.

Foobar? How is that? I don't like WMP (too massive) & Real has gotten out of hand. I've been using MusicMatch...I just haven't reinstalled it since the new install a couple of months back.

Foobar? How is that? I don't like WMP (too massive) & Real has gotten out of hand. I've been using MusicMatch...I just haven't reinstalled it since the new install a couple of months back.

I still use old winamp 2. But foobar seems to be the choice of many audio community users.

I use Foobar2000 and Winamp with Dynamic Library.

If you already have a well sorted collection, Dynamic Library is easier to navigate.

If you have a jumbled mess, Foobar will read ID3 tags and organize it by artist and album for you.

I used Directsound for awhile, for digital output that only worked from Foobar. It broke one day and I've just been using the ghettomax Windows Explorer + Winamp combination until I can fix Dynamic Library and/or Foobar.

Back