Network Password Issue

Aunty Em

OK, I'm almost there!

I changed 2k from DHCP to Static IP and now I can access the workgroup and both computers from 2k and I can see the both computers in 98SE and access 98, but I'm being asked for a password in 98SE to access 2K... how do I resolve this?

It assigns me the name: CLIVINGS\IPS$

Create the same user in 98 and on the 2K machine. You'll have to log in on the 98 machine @ startup, but after that you should be good to go. Now you see why everyone thought 98 was not so secure, huh?

Edit: The 98 user doesn't have to be logged in on the 2K machine. In other words, you can be logged in as whatever on the 2K machine and as long as the is there the 98 machine will have access to any shared resources.

You will also more than likely want to give the user that you create on the 2K box administrator privilages, else you won't be able to do much.

:wink2: Yay! Success... everything is now working AOK!

Thanks. :D

Boy was that lot some learning curve, considering I knew sod all about this when I started on Tuesday evening! But I think I'll probably find it a lot easier to setup a network in the future now than if it had all been plain sailing!

chcr said:
"Now, where the hell did I write that down?":)
Um... I don't think I'm going to forget...yasee... somehow I lost my Administrator privileges and I'm locked out of doing anything useful to the computer... so I'm gonna have to reinstall 2K cos it won't accept my admin password either... and I don't know a way around that... :(

Aunty Em said:
Um... I don't think I'm going to forget...yasee... somehow I lost my Administrator privileges and I'm locked out of doing anything useful to the computer... so I'm gonna have to reinstall 2K cos it won't accept my admin password either... and I don't know a way around that... :(

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/editor.html

Works great. I use it almost weekly both at BBY and here on campus when I dont' have admin privledges or the password. :wink2:

I recent reviewed the password problem for my cousin.
I think you just need to delete the SAM file, but if you
have setup ntfs, you'll need an ntfs book disk.

The file is in..
C:\WINNT\system32\config
usually

Back