new processor.....2600?

Mirlyn

Looking at getting the 2600/333 (currently have a Tbird 900@1050). How are the overclocks for this guy? :)

Tbred B 1700+'s are doing well and many are actually downbinned 2700+'s etc.. 2600+ should get to 2.2-3Ghz at default and possibly more if its a late week.

The place in fury's thread with the 1700+B still has them & the 1800+ is now $2.00 cheaper :shrug:

unclehobart said:
I think we have a thread here where Kruz clocked a special 1700 up a full gig .. on air only.

its a 1043MHz overclock..... but who's counting :)

I agree 2.2 to 3 gig is possible.

I was looking at the 2600 for a few reasons, one (however insignificant) being the novelty of the number 2600 and another being the 333 bus. I've gone through about three motherboards in less than a year due to extreme overclocking, so I'm starting to grow out of it (would still push it a little though ;) ). Can't afford that much downtime anymore. :(

Would still like to see what my A7N8X Deluxe will do.... :D

the xp1700+ I got from excaliberpc.com was hand picked, and claimed to be a "Downgraded" xp2800+ and it WILL do 2.2gig (2800+) at stock voltage!.... needs 1.85v for 2.5gig (xp3200+) where its at now. compaired to the price of a equal speed cpu, this was a bargan I could'nt refuse. :headbang:

Ok, you've said that before. But I gotta ask, how the hell does a chip get downgraded that much and still be any good? Who did the downgrading?

this is from a web site that explains it somewhat....

According to the source, the eights and nineth marks (these should be numbers, as shown below) in the second line of the sticker describes the initial speed the processor was designed for (RFBEXR2280073). If the initial model number is higher than the number you have, it means that your processor has been downgraded.

The owner of the web-site explains that “downgraded” in this case means that the CPU was not able to maintain full stability at the given rating with default voltage, so it was remarked to a lower model number. For example, 1700+ downgraded from 2400+ means that this CPU cannot work at 2400+ with core voltage 1.6V, but it can probably hit this and maybe even higher frequencies with voltage increase.

There are rumors that AMD re-stamped the markings of some high-speed CPUs to fulfill the huge demand for lower-speed ones (mostly 1700+ and 2100+), if this is your case, then the CPU should be able to work stable even at 2400+ with the default voltage. I think it firstly concerns AMD Athlon XP “Thoroughbred” processors with B0 stepping that have much higher overclocking potential compared to A0 chips.

you can read the full artical here

Your AMD Athlon XP Processor May Really Be Faster Than You Think it Is.

Professur said:
Ok, you've said that before. But I gotta ask, how the hell does a chip get downgraded that much and still be any good? Who did the downgrading?

In alot of cases it was to meet demand, or a new stepping, such as the AXIA T bird of old, that chip o'ced to the moon with some 1Ghz samples doing 1.6-7Ghz with a little more juice and sometimes 1.5-6Ghz on default vcore. It could be Tbred yields are so good that they're downbinning alot of faster cores just to meet demand, far cry from those early birds who deemed the XP .13 process a joke and laughed when alot of first samples could'nt even do 1.7Ghz.

Rob and Mark, if you're gonna do this, please lemme know, and try to schedule when I can be there. I've got zero experience in unlocking XP's, and I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

I'm game,
just waiting on robs responce.....
If you got a palimino you want unlocked, bring it over. the T-breds are much easyer though... just zap 'em with some voltage to blow the 3rd and 5th L3 bridges..

or.. I could come over there.. you have more room:D

You should probably come over to take stock of what I have to see what wiggle room I have for parts and reuse. You should at least recognize the cpu fan on the tbird. :)

Should'nt be too damaging if you can get it from a 3rd party vendor and its guranteed to work ( is it micron who has a compatiability list?) the OEMS charge ridiclously top dosh for simple upgrades.

Back