New tires

Inkara1

Anyone have any opinions on Toyo tires? I just put a set of Toyo Spectrum touring radials on my car. Cost me $282 for a set of four. At least now my butt isn't getting shaken, the way it was with the cheap piece of shit Capitol SX-608 tires (American Car Care Centers house brand) that were on the car when I got it.

Inkara1 said:
Anyone have any opinions on Toyo tires? I just put a set of Toyo Spectrum touring radials on my car. Cost me $282 for a set of four. At least now my butt isn't getting shaken, the way it was with the cheap piece of shit Capitol SX-608 tires (American Car Care Centers house brand) that were on the car when I got it.
Don't know shit about their car tires, but we don't grade the casings from their truck tires "A" (for recapping purposes) because they aren't as thick or tightly built as, say Goodyear, Bridgestone or Michelin.

I drove on Goodyears for a decade until my mechanic convinced me they were low end shit and got me to bump up to a soild set of Michelins. Braking distance improved, road feel improved, grip improved, hydroplaning disappeared, road noise decreased, and the life of the tire has more than doubled. I've put 30,000 miles on this set so far and they still look brand new.

i had a celica for years and for a while bought the cheapos and had to replace them almost yearly... a friend suggested toyos and they lasted pretty close to twice as long... so i'd say they are worth it

Agree with unc, michelin's are expensive thou, the bf goodrich are good (but not as good) and cheaper.
Get away from firestones.

Luis G said:
Agree with unc, michelin's are expensive thou, the bf goodrich are good (but not as good) and cheaper.
Get away from firestones.
BF Goodrich tires are actually made by Michelin, and have been since 1986.

I bought the Toyos because the mom-and-pop tire shop I went to (where my parents have been going for decades) only had that or National tires in stock in my car's size. Besides, $280 is probably about as much as I could spend right now anyway.

The el-cheapo tires that I replaced might have had a warranty, but they were on the car when I got it so I had no paperwork and no idea when they were put on the car. I put about 20,000 miles on them and they still had a good bit of tread left, so I suspect they were put on the car soon before I got it.

The new tires do have a warranty, but to keep it valid I have to go back to the tire shop once a month to have them check for even wear.

I took the car out on the freeway for about an hour and a half last night (2-3 a.m. kind of time) to see how they do. The steering response seems quicker, and I think there's less rolling resistance because at highway speeds it seems more eager to zip past 80. It still doesn't shake my butt through the seat and hands through the steering wheel like the old tires, even for a few brief seconds at 105.

Back