New vacuum

Inkara1

Here's how exciting my life is: the main thing I did today was I went to Sears and bought this new vacuum for $150.

I could have had one like what my parents have, but I just couldn't see spending $280 for a vacuum right now. In any case, the new one has lots of suction and will actually do a good job, much better than my old glorified dustbuster I had that was like $40.

chcr said:
:la: I have a central vac.
So do I... but its only used for drapery and whatnot. Its no good for the rug as the particular spinning brush attachment is weak, weak, weak. I can't wait to just break down and get a pro model made of steel like they use in hotels. Those things are like $500... but are simple to work on and invulnerable. Its the kind of vac that you can leave to your grandkids.

unclehobart said:
So do I... but its only used for drapery and whatnot. Its no good for the rug as the particular spinning brush attachment is weak, weak, weak. I can't wait to just break down and get a pro model made of steel like they use in hotels. Those things are like $500... but are simple to work on and invulnerable. Its the kind of vac that you can leave to your grandkids.
Really. My spinning brush attachment works quit well. I replaced the original four or five years ago, and the new one is excellent (it's a Kenmore, so was the old one and it didn't work as well). I had to replace the central unit last year (motor burned up) and I replaced it with a NuTone unit that runs two motors and 30% more suction. It works quite well. Like everything else, the technology has come a long way, I guess. :shrug:

I should mention that we don't really have that much carpet in our house. Neither of us in that fond of it. We mostly have ceramic tile and fake hardwood. Just the bedrooms and parlor are carpeted anymore.

chcr said:
Really. My spinning brush attachment works quit well. I replaced the original four or five years ago, and the new one is excellent (it's a Kenmore, so was the old one and it didn't work as well). I had to replace the central unit last year (motor burned up) and I replaced it with a NuTone unit that runs two motors and 30% more suction. It works quite well. Like everything else, the technology has come a long way, I guess. :shrug:

I should mention that we don't really have that much carpet in our house. Neither of us in that fond of it. We mostly have ceramic tile and fake hardwood. Just the bedrooms and parlor are carpeted anymore.

I'm with you on the carpet. Only my lowest floor has it (cement underneath). My place has beautiful hardwoods throughout, and the idiot who owned it before me carpeted over them. First thing we did was rip that crap up and refinish the wood. I can see wanting carpet in really cold climates, but not in Atlanta.

HomeLAN said:
I'm with you on the carpet. Only my lowest floor has it (cement underneath). My place has beautiful hardwoods throughout, and the idiot who owned it before me carpeted over them. First thing we did was rip that crap up and refinish the wood. I can see wanting carpet in really cold climates, but not in Atlanta.

If you put a proper barrier under it, hardwood can be just as warm as carpet. I used to help put it in in upstate NY. You can also lay it on concrete, although I would personally put down wonderboard and a barrier first on concrete. Might get a little pricey.

Nah, I'm thinking tile on that floor. It'll be part of the home renovation that's gonna put me in debt later this year.

I put a white tile floor with green grout and dots in our kitchen a few years back. It didn't turn out too bad.

You know, in the interest of synchronicity, I just received this in e-mail:

I am dreading buying the new vacum here in a couple of months. Erik has allergies and we will have my kitty when the roomate moves out so we will have to vacum daily and will need one that will pick everything up. I can see the dollar signs in the salesman's eyes now.

Tonks: it's not bagless. I actually kinda like bags better because dumping out a bagless into the trash makes a lot of dust.

Gonz: I wanted a canister and I've never seen one at Wal-Mart.

Back