No favortism towards Islam, huh

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The Christians are under attack while the Muslims are allowed free reign & most folks ignore it or laugh it off as another crackpot (see the whole Christmas vs Holiday thing).

UK: GIRL SENT HOME FROM SCHOOL FOR WEARING A CRUCIFIX
Mon Dec 05 2005 19:45:41 ET

A school today defended its decision to exclude a pupil after she refused to take off her crucifix necklace.

Sam Morris, 16, was told to remove her cross and chain on Thursday by deputy head teacher Howard Jones at Sinfin Community School in Derby.

When the year-11 student refused she was told not to return until today and without the item of jewellery.

The 1,070-student comprehensive has a strict policy which bans most jewellery being worn.

Items can be worn out of view or if they are part of religious beliefs, such as the Kara, a bracelet worn by Sikh males.

But the policy has been described as "unfair" by Sam's mother, Debra Saunders.

Sinfin Community School deputy head teacher Howard Jones said her daughter's one-day exclusion had been a "last resort" after a 30-minute conversation failed to persuade her to take it off.

He said: "There was a long period of persuasion with her and she was given time. It was only at the end of that that I reluctantly had to exclude her for a day.

"I met with her mother today and readmitted her daughter."

Mr Jones said the strict jewellery policy, which bans large earrings or items worn on the outside of clothing - was to avoid accidents and to remove temptation from thieves.

However, Sikh male pupils are allowed to wear the Kara, one of five physical symbols worn by followers of the faith.

Mr Jones said: "As a Christian I don't have to wear a crucifix but Sikhs don't have that option and we have to be understanding. We live in a multi-faith society."

Mrs Saunders, of Thackeray Street, Sinfin, told the Derby Evening Telegraph: "Sam has worn this necklace for more than three years and it is of great sentimental value to her.

"No-one has told her to take it off before and she doesn't want to.

"She thinks it is very unfair when other people are allowed to wear religious symbols and it just ends up creating a divide between the pupils when everyone is told they should be living in unity."

Developing...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
a) as to the thread title and lead-in, it's nothing whatsoever to do with Islam/Muslims.

b) this appears to be the difference between a religious law in which the people are 'sinning' (for lack of a better word) by not wearing the jewelry/sword/funky hat/whatever as opposed to wah I wanna wear it. This girl('s mother?) is trying to use religion and racism to get her way. How god-like, christian and charitable she must be.

b) stfu and free to go somewhere else if they don't like it disappears pretty fast when it's about the Christian God, huh?

HomeLAN

Is it a private school? If so, then yes, shut up and find somewhere that allows it.

Either way, it's still an interesting double standard, though. This religious symbol is OK, that one is not.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
they're not just symbols, and hence lies the difference between a crucifix and a Kava or one of the other K's. But as most won't look into it and will just take it at face value, this mom ought to be able to brown-people-bash enough to cause some shit and whore for attention and grab up some more of the 'offended' to back her.

A Discourse on the Sikh Articles of Faith A fundamental precept of the Sikh faith requires all practicing Sikhs to wear five articles of faith. These are the Kesh (uncut hair), which is kept covered by a distinctive turban. The other articles are the Kirpan (a sword), Kara (metal bracelet), Kanga (comb) and Kaccha (under-shorts). They all have deep religious meanings for Sikhs, who wear them to honor the teachings, wishes, and memory of their beloved Gurus.

These above are not just mere symbols but truly articles of faith. Since faith is largely personal, you are likely to hear different shades of answers from different Sikhs when you ask them about what these articles mean. They bind the Sikh to their Guru in an inexplicable relationship of love and faith.

These articles of faith serve a great purpose for Sikhs in strengthening their connection with their religion and giving them a distinct identity. On a personal plane, they represent a physical discipline that helps Sikhs to maintain their spiritual discipline. In a societal sphere, they are a marking that identify a follower of the way of life revealed to Guru Nanak and are an exteriorization of the mission given to the Khalsa.

These articles remind the Sikh of his/her responsibilities and simultaneously proclaim to the world that the wearer of the 5 Ks belongs to the Divine Presence (VaahGuru) and is obligated by certain spiritual/political duties. These duties include standing firm against all forms of oppression, speaking for the justice for all human being irrespective of their faith, color, ethnicity or background and always helping and defending the downtrodden.

Most Sikhs would rather die than abandon their articles of faith. In the Sikh historical tradition, Sikh heroes preferred to have their heads chopped off, rather than allow their hair to be cut. It is in the face of adversity that a
Sikh must prove himself or herself true to her values.
a little more detail.

Also, she's allowed to wear it out of view, she chose not to obviously, as it was seen enough for to be asked to take it off. She broke the the rules and then moaned about it. But that's ok this time, cause it's ???

Much ado about nothing.

MrBishop

For the Principal, it's about not provoking thoughts of theft.
For the kid, it's "of great sentimental value to her."
For the mother...it's a chance to use the religion card to get her way and get her 15 minutes at the same time. Even she doesn't call it 'the crucifix', but 'Sam has worn this necklace'

If it was about the religious symbol, she could just as easily wear it beneath her blouse...God wouldn't mind.
Sentimental objects don't have to be seen by anyone else for them to have meaning to the individual. They're memorandos..things to help us recall.

HomeLAN

Leslie said:
But as most won't look into it and will just take it at face value, this mom ought to be able to brown-people-bash enough to cause some shit and whore for attention and grab up some more of the 'offended' to back her.

Ah, so it's a RACIAL thing? Well, thank God I understand that now.

Professur

Gonz said:
No favortism towards Islam, huh

None here either.

So.... If my minister tells my daughter she must wear her hair up in the form of a crucifix ..... then that's alright? The minister said so.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Leslie said:
Also, she's allowed to wear it out of view, she chose not to obviously, as it was seen enough for to be asked to take it off. She broke the the rules and then moaned about it. But that's ok this time, cause it's ???

Much ado about nothing.

I wear a cross under my T-shirt. It sometimes comes out when I'm working, and I don't always notice it. I've been chastised for having it out, but not for wearing it. While you can give in on the idea of wearing it in the open, you cannot make that judgement upon whether she can wear it at all.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
HomeLAN said:
Is it a private school? If so, then yes, shut up and find somewhere that allows it.

Either way, it's still an interesting double standard, though. This religious symbol is OK, that one is not.

Agreed.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
A Discourse on the Sikh Articles of Faith A fundamental precept of the Sikh faith requires all practicing Sikhs to wear five articles of faith. These are the Kesh (uncut hair), which is kept covered by a distinctive turban. The other articles are the Kirpan
(a sword)

Try wearing a sword to school. Better yet, let one of your kids come home and tell you another kid in his/her class is allowed to wear a sword. Bet yer panties will get twisted up real quick then.

Gato_Solo

BTW...I work with Christians, Jews, muslims, one Buddhist, and a Shinto. All have their religious items and all items are respected with one caveat...none are allowed to appear outside of the uniform...hence my reference to the T-shirt.

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
How do you hide a turban under kevlar?

They don't all wear turbans, and, according to the guys I work with, they are allowed to go without their headgear in some situations...military service being amongst them. I don't press for answers beyond what is necessary to keep things running smoothly.

Starya

The 1,070-student comprehensive has a strict policy which bans most jewellery being worn.

Items can be worn out of view or if they are part of religious beliefs, such as the Kara, a bracelet worn by Sikh males.
So it seems that if Christianity specifically dictated that followers wear a visible cross, there'd be no problem. Since it's not, she could have worn it under her shirt, and there'd be no problem.

If anything, one might argue that there should be a rule to cover up the kara with, say, long sleeves or something.

And since I had to google, the kara:

glossarykara.jpg

Professur

Gato_Solo said:
They don't all wear turbans, and, according to the guys I work with, they are allowed to go without their headgear in some situations...military service being amongst them. I don't press for answers beyond what is necessary to keep things running smoothly.

I was wondering, since there was a big scuffle up here with some turban-wearing types refusing to wear standard issue headgear as part of the uniform.

Starya

Personally, I think that as long as one's talking protective headgear, they either wear it, or find a desk job. Other than that, I see no problem with it.

Professur

Starya said:
Personally, I think that as long as one's talking protective headgear, they either wear it, or find a desk job. Other than that, I see no problem with it.

This was about the regulation uniform cap that everyone is supposed to wear as part of their uniform.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
A Discourse on the Sikh Articles of Faith A fundamental precept of the Sikh faith requires all practicing Sikhs to wear five articles of faith. These are the Kesh (uncut hair), which is kept covered by a distinctive turban. The other articles are the Kirpan

Try wearing a sword to school. Better yet, let one of your kids come home and tell you another kid in his/her class is allowed to wear a sword. Bet yer panties will get twisted up real quick then.
Sikh children do have the swords in school here. And my panties are just fine, thank you.