Nostalgia

JJR512

As many of you may already know, Google Alerts is a Google feature that will send you a message whenever the Google spiders come across a word or phrase of your specification on a web page. I have several alerts set up; one of them is for, of course, "JJR512". Today, I received an Alert that "JJR512" was found here: http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/showthread.php?p=250798

A very old thread at HWC to randomly turn up now, but seeing it made a bit nostalgic for the "old days". Back when many of us got involved with a message board for an actual reason, to actually accomplish something or find out about something. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with joining or participating in a message board just for idle friendly (or, in the case of some of you, not-so-friendly) chit-chat, of course; without that, we wouldn't be where we are now.

I read my post at the end of that thread at HWC, and I know I remember the name SkySlash, but cannot remember very much about him, what he was about, whether I liked him or if we got along or if he even ever talked to me. I tried to find the thread at MakeItSimple that I linked to in the original post of that thread at HWC, but couldn't.

But I did start to see some other names that I vaguely remember. Some I remember better than others. Honestly, I've never been very good at remembering names. Some of these people became members at JJR512.com; many didn't, and some were never heard from again after the Voodoo Magazine forum ended, or maybe had a relative few appearances at MIS.

KrK, Cerebro, Nemesis, Manning, Radium88, THX...

Inkara1

I'm wondering whatever happened to Hexploit... or whatever random string of characters he used to spell that.

2minkey

bootlicker
i remember skyslash.

he's from dallas. tended to have very strong opinions and not be shy about them. i don't think he got along well with jayburner (edit - who became outlaw69 as you may know). remember that guy? he was hilarious.

anyway i actually ended up talking to skyslash on the phone... i recognized his name on another board, and it turned out we'd both purchased the same faulty product, so we chatted about return strategies (to a lousy manufacturer with horrible CS) briefly.

catocom

don't know if he rep-ed, but he played it, as his means of income at one time....
it's been some time.

JJR512

i remember skyslash.

he's from dallas. tended to have very strong opinions and not be shy about them. i don't think he got along well with jayburner (edit - who became outlaw69 as you may know). remember that guy? he was hilarious.

anyway i actually ended up talking to skyslash on the phone... i recognized his name on another board, and it turned out we'd both purchased the same faulty product, so we chatted about return strategies (to a lousy manufacturer with horrible CS) briefly.

I probably once knew that OL69 had been jayburner, but I have no recollection of that fact now. I remember the name jayburner but don't remember any of his posts or if we ever talked directly or got along. I remember OL69 better. I remember that he said some really wild and crazy things some times, and a lot of those things he said, I couldn't tell if he seriously meant them or not. We didn't get along in some places and got along fine in other places at other times. I believe he called me up on the phone once, when I worked for the bail-bonds place, and my sense was that he wasn't really as crazy as he sometimes came across online.

I don't remember Hexploit from anywhere other than JJR512.com. I don't know if he was around somewhere else first and just found his way over to my place as so many other people did, or if he somehow got to my place first and spread out from there. So, speaking more about people I remember from JJR512.com and miss now: Assassin, Hani, Wetling, Brainsoft...I don't even remember, did Brainsoft come from HWC or VoodooMag/MIS? Dart468, or whatever the number was, I'll never forget the Patrick Star avatar or the thread where he posted pictures of various real people and places with Patrick showing up in the background. And there were others, I know, but I'm really horrible with names.

Of course, there are other people I remember with fondness and miss being friends with now, people who aren't actually gone, though, many of whom are still here right now. The fact that I have to miss being friends with them, rather than actually being friends with them, is entirely my fault, of course.

catocom

yeah he drops in...around...'bout once a year now, or so.

I heard the big ..Dart468 rode the light, although that's unconfirmed. :(

the boards keep evolving, and the world turning.

POStech

HWC was the first board I joined. I was just learning about computers so that's why I joined. After that for off topic type boards I joined JJR512, xbase then here.

Inkara1

There was another name he would post under as well at some other sites, and I can't remember it to google it.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
brainsoft was at HWC before JJR I think. He dropped of the BB scene long ago. He is a electrician apprentice now (I think he's still an apprentice, I dunno). He's married with dogs and cats and probably other animals too. No babies yet. I don't talk to him anymore but we share some of the same friends still.

JTP

Good Freakin Patricia Neal Ripped to the Gills on TCM today:::
Fountainhead, A Face in The Crowd, etc.
"KLAATU- borata NIKTO"