Nostalic

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
So, what little things just take you back and make you remember a happy time?

Everytime I eat an "everything bagel toasted with butter and cheddar cheese" from Tim Hortons I think of my dad and the time I went to work with him on "take your kid to work" day, he had that for breakfast...that day I got a little glimpse into his daily life, I found out he could place his coffee on the dash and drive to work without spilling it, I found out what the coffee truck was like that he bought stuff from, I found out how the guys at his work respect him, I got a glimpse into the person that he was outside of being a dad. I eat those bagels ALOT more since he passed away, I really do enjoy them but I think part of it is also because of the memories it brings back.

I have a drawer with my knicknacks in it... old matchbooks, ROTC rank, brothers class ring, a few sacred party favors... lots of stuff that takes me back to my teens.

I also have 2 half sisters. One is in her low 40s, lives in Florida, never met her... by dad.

The other is about 24... by mom.

There's a new channel on Sirius Satellite Radio... well, it's five or so months old now. It's called Lithium 24... it plays Grunge and Alternative from the 1990s... AKA the music that I was hearing on the radio when I was in high school. It brought back a lot of memories.

80's music.

FunDips.

I started a thread in Trivia just now - Avery brought up something and started me off reminiscing about something else entirely, back to a very fun time.

My public school 'group' on facebook.

Sharing stuff I liked with my kids, watching them like it too or laughing while they mock me incessantly.

Watching the boys sucking up books like Choose Your Own Adventure, and Amelia Bedelia.

Seems lot of it is watching the kids - another is seeing them go through the 'times of their lives' and remembering mine.

Charlie Brown Christmas.

The beach.

Little random things that pop up - none are tangible, just smells and seeing people in moments and I get a little flash and smile to myself.

certain songs, smells... i'm a so-called "rapid associator", so everything reminds me of something... and something that makes me most nostalgic are those times when the light and the scent and everything is just right... i remember happy (sometimes sad) things that happened at another time the environment was just like that.
that's very general.

more specifically... sometimes i'll just be walkin around somewhere, and it will smell JUST. LIKE. KINDERGARTEN. for seemingly no reason.

I used to get LSD flashbacks from eating German chocolate cake of all things. Not every time and it finally stopped. The smell of popcorn always makes me think of high-school basketball.

Re: Nostalgic

Well, naturally we lost all our personal mementos in the fire, but still there are triggers. Being a music freak, a lot of memories are tied to songs for me. Another strong one for me is the smell inside an old barn.

The smell of horses. Reminds me of a camp I went to and worked at, was there for 11 summers.

Who changed the title of my thread? Typos are things that make us laugh years from now when someone brings the threads back up.

I used to get LSD flashbacks from eating German chocolate cake of all things. Not every time and it finally stopped.

jebus, man, how much acid did you do? i used to do several hits at once and i don't think i've ever had a flashback.

I never did very much LSD but I would ocassionally "catch trails" and have a random light headedness with them. Not terribly often but a nice surprise from time to time.

jebus, man, how much acid did you do? i used to do several hits at once and i don't think i've ever had a flashback.
I rarely did more than one but I did it regularly for nine or ten years. Easily my recreational drug of choice when I used to do such. I had my last flashback probably around three years after I stopped although I can still see things in the same focused/unreality-tinged way to this day if I concentrate.

more specifically... sometimes i'll just be walkin around somewhere, and it will smell JUST. LIKE. KINDERGARTEN. for seemingly no reason.

That's funny, I get the same thing here in my office - sometimes it smells EXACTLY like my elementary school classroom . . . kind of musty, mixed with an antiseptic smell and paper. Which is strange because my school was built in the 40s but our office building is only a couple of years old. The smell always takes me back 40 years. :eh:

And I suddenly have a craving for an "everything bagel toasted with butter and cheddar cheese". :lloyd:

Back