NYC is mean to homeless people

greenfreak

Well, that's what I think this article is trying to say anyway. What this is going to accomplish is that Long Islanders are going to seek out Patchogue as a place to live and housing prices will go up.

I'm copying the full article because Newsday tends to take the articles down very quickly.

NYC, Patchogue rank as nasty to homeless

BY LAUREN TERRAZZANO
STAFF WRITER

January 11, 2006, 9:37 PM EST

Two national homeless advocacy groups have named New York City and Patchogue among 224 municipalities nationwide that are "meanest" to the homeless.

The report, "A Dream Denied: The Criminalization of Homelessness in U.S." Citiesse released yesterday by the Washington, D.C.-based National Coalition for the Homeless and the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, calculated specific city measures in 2005 that targeted homeless people, such as placing restrictions on loitering, panhandling and sleeping in public places, or an increase in sweeps of the homeless by law enforcement officials.

New York City made the top 20 -- at 14, -- while Patchogue, an incorporated village in Brookhaven Town, made the overall list, though not ranked specifically. The No. 1 city in the United States was Sarasota, Fla., for a controversial ordinance that outlaws sleeping outside at night -- used in the past two years to arrest more than 500 people even though it was declared unconstitutional.

Also on the list are Lawrence, Kan., Houston, Los Angeles and Pittsburgh.

"Cities are increasingly criminalizing homelessness," said Michael Stoops, acting executive director of the National Coalition for the Homeless. "Many cities continue to pass so-called anti-homeless laws and selectively enforce these laws against the homeless."

Officials for both New York City and Patchogue denied that the cities are unfriendly to the homeless population.

New York City, ranked No. 6 last year, dropped to 14 and was cited by the groups for a crackdown on minor crimes such as fare beating; for instance, the groups pointed to arrests on the M35 bus last year. Many of the arrested bus riders were on their way to homeless shelters and five criminal court judges questioned the wisdom of the arrests, the report said.

"Regardless of how this 'report' ranks New York, our city is the most generous jurisdiction in the country when it comes to addressing the needs of at-risk and homeless citizens," said Angela Allen, a spokeswoman for the Department of Homeless Services.

She cited homeless prevention measures such as a billion-dollar plan to create 9,000 supportive housing units for chronically homeless families and individuals.

Patchogue, which has made an economic turnaround in the past several years in its downtown, announced a law enforcement crackdown in 2005 of quality-of-life issues called "Operation Clean Sweep," using village constables and Suffolk police to conduct random, unannounced sweeps for loitering, panhandling and drinking in public. The village Justice Court also was opened on random weeknight and weekend evenings to arraign alleged violators.

"Are you unfriendly to those who may or may not be homeless or are you going to protect your residents? Clean Sweep had nothing to do with homelessness, but it was more about quality-of-life issues," said Patchogue Mayor Paul Pontieri, who added that most of the arrests made have been for public drinking, urination or existing arrest warrants. "We have to make a decision for all our residents."

In downtown America, Stoops has noticed "a polarization between the business community and homeless people" and said it was growing.

A report by the Department of Housing and Urban Development in 2005 found that 40 percent of homeless people live outside, while 60 percent live in shelters. In New York City, approximately 31,000 individuals are homeless, according to the city's Department of Homeless Services. On Long Island, officials said about 2,000 use the county networks of shelters, but advocates for the homeless said those numbers represent a small portion of the homeless population.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lihome0112-1,0,6588225.story?coll=ny-linews-headlines

I live in an incorporated city too and the police tend to curb this also. There aren't many homeless in our area but it's a big beach community so we get our share of transients, homeless, etc. in the summer. The police beat is filled with addresses of people who live outside of our town. I very seldom see any homeless or pandhandlers but that doesn't mean they're not there.

I lived in Venice Beach Ca., the homeless capital of the world (or so it seemed). 90% of th epeople that I met were lazy, worthless bums who preferred alcohol or other drug(s) to getting a job. Screw 'em. Those that truly need help can find it.

What a load of rubbish. Until recent years, the homeless practically had more rights than the rest of us. They were a terrible virus, sleeping anywhere and, some of them, threatening the safety of residents and tourists alike. Thank God Giuliani got rid of most of them, but they're slowly creeping back onto city streets.

the groups pointed to arrests on the M35 bus last year. Many of the arrested bus riders were on their way to homeless shelters and five criminal court judges questioned the wisdom of the arrests, the report said.
Right, criminal vagrants should instead be wined and dined at the Four Seasons. Morons. :rolleyes:

I can honestly say that the only 'dregs of society' that I saw on my trip to New York were all piled up on Times Square under the windows of MTV during the TRL tapings.

unclehobart said:
I can honestly say that the only 'dregs of society' that I saw on my trip to New York were all piled up on Times Square under the windows of MTV during the TRL tapings.
Those people are certainly in need of some sort of intervention program. I'm not sure how it would work at the moment though.

Intervention for screeching brain-dead teens?

Intervention program... hmmm...

college perhaps?

That way they can make the smooth transition to drugs and become normal.

tell you whut
getting a kid from zero to 18
through prep school into collage
tryin' to teach him 'bout wimen's & drugz
and everything else that is required
to produce an exceptionally equipped human bean

ain't nuthin' to sneeze at... "Haah-Choo!"

Clovis, CA has an interesting way of dealing with the homeless: they pick them up and dump them in neighboring Fresno.

Shouldn't they handle it like wild bears? Once they cause a problem, you capture them, tag them on the ear, and release them out into the wild. If they cause another problem, they get ground up for horse feed.

Re the article:

"Regardless of how this 'report' ranks New York, our city is the most generous jurisdiction in the country when it comes to addressing the needs of at-risk and homeless citizens," said Angela Allen, a spokeswoman for the Department of Homeless Services.

She cited homeless prevention measures such as a billion-dollar plan to create 9,000 supportive housing units for chronically homeless families and individuals.

Are these homes actually being built, or is it just a PC thing to say to give people false hope? And also, from what I have seen on TV these so-called housing projects usually end up being criminal havens for lord knows what kind of delinquints - do the people who live there pay the same taxes etc as the rest of the population in the area or what?

Just wondering if it wouldn't make more sense using that kind of money to implement some sort of job creation programme?

You can create all the jobs you want. There is a certain element that simply will not work. They want everything handed to them on a platter.

AlphaTroll said:
Re the article:

Are these homes actually being built, or is it just a PC thing to say to give people false hope? And also, from what I have seen on TV these so-called housing projects usually end up being criminal havens for lord knows what kind of delinquints -

They're often one and the same.

do the people who live there pay the same taxes etc as the rest of the population in the area or what?

Pay??? Are you insane. They get housed, fed, transported, and paid using other people's taxes.

Just wondering if it wouldn't make more sense using that kind of money to implement some sort of job creation programme?

I've got a better idea. Work gangs. You live in their housing, spend 8 hours a day picking litter off the interstates, and get three squares caffeteria style (you eat what you're served and like it, or go hungry). Pay phone down the hall, Library with internet access and job centre somewhere on the complex. Criminal behavior is immediate double of regular criminal sentence. Pay is half minimum (after all, you're getting the rest in services) Don't like it, save your pay and get the hell out.

Hey, we made the list!

Sarasota, which recently imposed a no-camping ban, is the meanest city in the nation toward the homeless, according to a national advocacy organization.

The annual list of the 20 worst cities for treating the homeless in 2005 ranks Lawrence, Kan., as second meanest, and Little Rock, Ark., third. Atlanta, Dallas, Las Vegas and Houston were also among the top 10.

Source - may require free registration

Frankly, having been harrassed by damned aggresive panhandlers before, this simply tells me local law enforcement is at least doing this part of its fucking job.

No, it's just all part of the template. No one is actually responsible for the actions that put them on the streets, so it's obvious that we're just meanies out to mistreat them. After all, saying that local officials put forth the effort to protect law-abiding citizens from at best irritating and at worst dangerous episodes of being accosted by urban outdoorsmen makes law enforcement look effective and bums look like bums.

Can't have that.

Steve, remeber all of the ordinances they signed into law last year making agressive panhandling and whatnot a crime? All was done in the name of trying to hold onto our dwindling convention business.

Back