Obama's $450bn employment package to save ONE job: his!

Gotholic

David Gardner
Daily Mail
September 9, 2011

Facing a barrage of criticism over his handling of the economy, President Obama last night unveiled a massive $450bn plan to combat the country's unemployment crisis - and try to save his own job.

In a rare address to a joint session of US Congress at what is being seen as the lowest point in his presidency, Mr Obama tried to inject fresh confidence that he can still turn the dire jobs outlook around.

Unusually impassioned, the president demanded a truce in the political bickering that could still sabotage his much-vaunted American Jobs Act.

With a slew of polls this week showing his approval rankings have slumped to new lows and the jobless figures anchored at 9.1%, the make-or-break speech was supposed to breathe new life into his faltering re-election hopes.

But within minutes of the end of the televised 30-minute address, Republicans were already on the attack, lambasting the president for splashing out yet more taxpayer billions in a bid to spend his way out of the downturn

Republican presidential contender Michele Bachmann claimed Mr Obama's approach amounts to more 'failed gimmicks.'

The Tea Party darling said that the jobs plan will fail even if it is passed by Congress.

She claimed the president was 'politically paralyzed' and 'philosophically incapable of doing what needs to be done.'

Mr Obama's proposed package includes a payroll tax cut for all workers, a payroll tax cuts for most business, and billions in extra spending on construction projects.

He peppered the speech with the demand that Congress should pass the plan 'right away', a phrase he used 15 times.

But his hectoring tone suggested he was far from sure they would.

'The people of this country work hard to meet their responsibilities,' he said. 'The question tonight is whether we'll meet ours. The question is whether, in the face of an ongoing national crisis, we can stop the political circus and actually do something to help the economy.'

'This plan is the right thing to do right now. You should pass it and I intend to take this measure to every corner of this country,' he added

Another Republican presidentila candidate Ron Paul predicted a backlash from the public over the plan that adds hundreds of billions more public spending just weeks after the country was taken to the brink of defaulting on its loans in a Washington deadlock over the ballooning national deficit.

But Mr Obama proposed his bill would be paid for in part by tax increases for wealthy Americans.

How is it fair that billionaires like Warren Buffet, one of the world's richest men, pays a lower tax code than a secretary, he asked.

He insisted that the wealthiest Americans and biggest corporations should 'pay their fair share.'

Fired up over the political bickering in the lead up to the speech, he insisted his plan had nothing to do with 'class warfare.'

Source

More borrowing! Yay! And did you know that unemployment is actually roughly 22%? If you are unemployed over 6 months then you are no longer counted!

Source

And did you know that unemployment is actually roughly 22%? If you are unemployed over 6 months then you are no longer counted!

how long has that been the practice? please substantiate this claim and include timing information i.e. if this has long been the practice, then you're saying nothing.

which, of course, would be shocking. :eh:

how long has that been the practice? please substantiate this claim and include timing information i.e. if this has long been the practice, then you're saying nothing.

which, of course, would be shocking. :eh:

It has been going on since 1994 - Source

The seasonally-adjusted SGS Alternate Unemployment Rate reflects current unemployment reporting methodology adjusted for SGS-estimated long-term discouraged workers, who were defined out of official existence in 1994. That estimate is added to the BLS estimate of U-6 unemployment, which includes short-term discouraged workers.

The U-3 unemployment rate is the monthly headline number. The U-6 unemployment rate is the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ (BLS) broadest unemployment measure, including short-term discouraged and other marginally-attached workers as well as those forced to work part-time because they cannot find full-time employment.

sgs-emp.gif

Source

notice how the lines have almost the exact same trajectory? whose ever line you choose the VARIANCE is the same.

so by your obviously favored numbers we had some pretty high unemployment in the early 2000s too... when the economy was booming.

so in other words, thanks for trying to tell us what we already knew. it was certainly a special learning experience for me.

This is the same crap they always use. Inflation? Hell, we don't count butter & eggs, so there's no inflation. Unemployment? Those 29,000,000 who are no longer eligible for a government check...they aren't unemployed. They're retired.

really gonz it's just a bunch of people trying to estimate shit the best they can. and sleazing some off the top... fucking accountants...

it's not really an intelligent, coordinated effort to fuck you over. it's just the arbitrary machinations of far-removed government. but i think you like where this is going... decentralization, handling things at a local level where you can actually find a human that knows what is going on... yep, i like that, too.

right. but you been asking in ways that the rest of us fiscal conservatives find... um...

it's the same reason mccotter is a nobody and palin is a star.

put away you childish things. and get down to business.

notice how the lines have almost the exact same trajectory? whose ever line you choose the VARIANCE is the same.

Well, that is not a surprise considering that basically the new criteria omits some of what it used to use and the other higher rates uses what the new criteria uses but does not omit what was once used. I think I just made a tongue twister!

so by your obviously favored numbers we had some pretty high unemployment in the early 2000s too... when the economy was booming.

so in other words, thanks for trying to tell us what we already knew. it was certainly a special learning experience for me.

Hmm...well, here is what you might not have known: We’ve Now Got Depression-Level Unemployment

Well, that is not a surprise considering that basically the new criteria omits some of what it used to use and the other higher rates uses what the new criteria uses but does not omit what was once used.

let me know when you are done beating off around the kiddie pool.

it's the same reason mccotter is a nobody and palin is a star.

put away you childish things. and get down to business.

So, you say you're a marketing guru. In the age of TV, video, radio sound bites, facebook & twitter, who's going to get the exposure to present their ideas to the biggest audience? A perfect candidate that nobody has heard of, or, a media hound who actually has a set of values & believes the rhetoric?

Sarah outdraws all the other contenders, including the President, in public appearances.

We stil can't Welcome Back McCotter because he's never been seen.

Image, plus backbone beats backbone alone.

So, you say you're a marketing guru. In the age of TV, video, radio sound bites, facebook & twitter, who's going to get the exposure to present their ideas to the biggest audience? A perfect candidate that nobody has heard of, or, a media hound who actually has a set of values & believes the rhetoric?

Sarah outdraws all the other contenders, including the President, in public appearances.

We stil can't Welcome Back McCotter because he's never been seen.

Image, plus backbone beats backbone alone.

um, i didn't say i was a marketing guru, but your point is well taken. it's a popularity contest.

wow, that's dignified. maybe we can get lady gaga to loan sarah some costumes.

"has a set of values & believes the rhetoric?"

okay.

what happens when things get ugly?

might be nice to fulfill a couple more requirements. like

"can think on feet and not do anything dumb."

i don't think she can. and i'm not even sure she truly believes her own rhetoric. she's just learned some phrases that resonate with her followers. i expect in real life she's pragmatic, aggressive... and by many accounts a vindictive self-promoter.

you do realize you've described the perfect cheerleader, right?

i don't see this "backbone" you refer to. i anticipate in a real situation of the mildest complexity she would go down, hard and ugly. she gets confused. spewing things like "god, guns and guts" is not going to get her very far with, say, vladimir putin, who would flick her like a bug.

some time ago european leftists realized that the cult of personality was not a good thing. maybe it's time for american righties to learn the same thing. it may seem like a party to you all, but it's a 'would be really funny if it weren't real' fishbowl for the rest of us.

"has a set of values & believes the rhetoric?"

okay.

what happens when things get ugly?

Isn't that the question with every single politician?

GW stood up & did his job.

Obama takes teleprompters to grade schools.

People call GW stupid & Obama smart. Marketing? (You said that's your specialty, didn't you?)

Sarah stood up against her party in AK. Obama voted PRESENT, something like 70% of the time. Marketing?

The only way to know is to take a chance. Palin is the first politician that I have believed since Reagan. It's more than campaign slogans. You don't need to write long-winded, elegant speeches when God bless America will work sufficiently.

gee gonz i'm just the mall survey guy.

sarah quit in alaska halfway through her term to become more of a media darling.

i think her "values" are pretty plain to see.

not rolling the dice on that one.

I thought you got a promotion to director of mall surveys & chief donut getter

Back