Oh goody!

chcr

Too cute for words
The hard disk in my server that runs my retread plant just took the large crap. Of course there is no redundatn back up for that drive because someone didn't wan to spend the money. :rolleyes: So now I have HP support coming to fix my Digital server through my Compaq service agreement which no one in the accounts payable dept. seems to be able to find evidence that we paid.Then, I have to get with the software vendor to reinstall the program (we only back up data, not the program). They seemed shocked by the suggestion that they could FTP me the program rather than overnighting it on two tapes (cd burning technology hasn't reached them yet?).

It's going to be a wonderful day. :disgust:

And then, the phone and frame relay went down. That's fixed now, still waiting on the tech for the server. I think I'll take the rest of the day off.

ooooooomg. I was thinkin at first it might not turn out to be so bad, getting a whole bunch of other people to work while you watch. but now it's worse? :eek:

chcr said:
The hard disk in my server that runs my retread plant just took the large crap. Of course there is no redundatn back up for that drive because someone didn't wan to spend the money. :rolleyes: So now I have HP support coming to fix my Digital server through my Compaq service agreement which no one in the accounts payable dept. seems to be able to find evidence that we paid.Then, I have to get with the software vendor to reinstall the program (we only back up data, not the program). They seemed shocked by the suggestion that they could FTP me the program rather than overnighting it on two tapes (cd burning technology hasn't reached them yet?).

It's going to be a wonderful day. :disgust:

Shee-it.

And I wanted to be a server admin.....
Actually valid point, why couldn't they FTP it to you??

eeeffff Teee peee? Whats that? Oddly enough, some of these computer companies are not as far advanced as you would think they are. We just started getting updates for our AS/400 on CD's last year, before that they were on tape.

PT said:
eeeffff Teee peee? Whats that? Oddly enough, some of these computer companies are not as far advanced as you would think they are. We just started getting updates for our AS/400 on CD's last year, before that they were on tape.
Actually given the technology 90% of employees use, I shouldnt be too surprised.

We're pretty lucky where I work. With it being a government building we have nice fast PC's LCD monitors and optical mice....hardly ever have system outages either.

Raven said:
Shee-it.

And I wanted to be a server admin.....
Actually valid point, why couldn't they FTP it to you??

They did after I explained how to do it. :lloyd:

chcr said:
They did after I explained how to do it. :lloyd:
Right. This is my faith in computer service company employees before that comment:

[---------------------------------]

This is it after:

[-------]

It was too high before.

Actually our IBM service guys are pretty good. Where you really run into trouble is when IBM takes the contract, but they don't have a local office, so they hire some guy named Ted who used to work on typewriters to handle all the local service issues.

At the place where I used to work, we had a couple of IBM staff permanantly on site. I swear, they were on a conference call on the hour every hour with something else that had gone wrong that they couldn't fix :rolleyes:

The only person I'll ever trust with computers I'm running is myself.

Okay, the "HP" techs have been here and installed the drive.

"What about the file system (UNIX's version of format)?"
"We don't do that, we only do hardware installation."
"(under my breath) Fuck me running."

So now, I'm waitng for the software vendor to call back. I'd just create a partition and install nfs, but the last time I fixed something that was blatantly wrong they threatened to discontinue our support if their techs didn't do it. Their tech later e-mailed me and told me that he had applied my fix to a number of other customers. :shrug: So anyway, I don't do shit to this box until they tell me to.

chcr said:
Okay, the "HP" techs have been here and installed the drive.

"What about the file system (UNIX's version of format)?"
"We don't do that, we only do hardware installation."
"(under my breath) Fuck me running."

So now, I'm waitng for the software vendor to call back. I'd just create a partition and install nfs, but the last time I fixed something that was blatantly wrong they threatened to discontinue our support if their techs didn't do it. Their tech later e-mailed me and told me that he had applied my fix to a number of other customers. :shrug: So anyway, I don't do shit to this box until they tell me to.
Eeejits....

and by the way, you have the quotation marks around the wrong words in that post ;)

Note that it took two of them to install one hot-swappable (not supported in SCO, BTW) drive, plus me to tell them how to configure the array. Luckily I have been through similar circumstances so I have the RAID configuration saved on a bootable disk. ;)

I'd advise the management to cancel said maintainance contract and go in-house....at least you guys know how to install a freaking hard drive :eek6:

Raven said:
I'd advise the management to cancel said maintainance contract and go in-house....at least you guys know how to install a freaking hard drive :eek6:

Us guy. ;) I'm the lone stranger around here.

They're afraid I'll quit because they know they don't pay me what I'm worth.

chcr said:
Us guy. ;) I'm the lone stranger around here.

They're afraid I'll quit because they know they don't pay me what I'm worth.
All the better then if they're gonna pull stunts like that. Quit and go find someone who'll pay you what your worth, not necessarily in that order. That or demand a raise, you are well within your rights to do so.

Back