Oh no he didn!

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
ISRAEL'S Deputy Defence Minister, Matan Vilnai, said yesterday Palestinians were bringing a "holocaust" upon themselves by stepping up cross-border rocket fire from the Gaza Strip.

oh yes he did.

I hate when people who's politics you agree with open their mouths to say something so stupid it makes everyone look bad.

Bad choice of words, there is more to the article though.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/gaza-militants-risk-holocaust-israeli-minister/2008/02/29/1204226991688.html

I'm going to side with you idealogically, but not semantically.

Jewish people do not "own" the word holocaust. This is the same argument in principle that was raised when black leaders started bitching about "master" drives and "slave" cylinders. It would be the same as me claiming that nothing else could be referred to using the word "reconstruction".

There was THE holocaust, which was without question the most unthinkable, evil, tragic event in memory. There was the institution of slavery, a terrible and unthinkably ugly chapter. There was Reconstruction, which was little more than rubbing salt in open wounds and a campaign of indoctrination and punishment and looting. But the words themselves carry meanings beyond specific events attached to them.

I understand the hurt attached to the word. It ain't all that smart to talk about "reconstructing" anything in these parts...far better to choose "rebuilding". And in no way am I implying that anyone should just "get over it", "move forward", any of that self-coddifying bullshit that some of us hear all the time from certain parties. Just pointing out that a word can have a meaning beyond an event, and that part of the mental warfare employed by opposing factions know this and use it as a weapon every bit as effective as a machine gun.

Jewish people do not "own" the word holocaust.

I never claimed they did, it is a word in the english language, and was used in it's proper context.

BUT another word could have been, and should have been used, due to the history it has for the people in Israel. Like when Bush used crusade in conjunction with troops in the middle east.

It was either a horrible slip of the tongue, or a dire threat.

And imagine if Hamas issued a press release saying that they will unlease a holocaust upon Israel if they don't pull out of the west bank. how would have that gone over.

It's a matter of thinking before you speak.

Holocaust & Crusades are history specific words that need to be left in that realm. They invoke emotionally charged responses.

Holocaust & Crusades are history specific words that need to be left in that realm. They invoke emotionally charged responses.

So Billy Graham should find a different word for his ministry.

And before the usual suspects start, no they are NOT the Billy Graham Holocausts...

This is the final hurrah for the elder Clintons. Tis dirty tricks season doncha know. If Obamma gets the nod, they're gonna implode.

tuesday are the pivotal primaries, right?

think i might throw a small party that night... or a big one...

It could be pivotal. Or it could continue things as they are (my hopes)

Could be, shmould be. If you're indecisive in a primary, you're going to be indecisive in the regular elelctio, and you will be indecisive in the executive/legislative/judicial office. There is no such thing as a bad elected official...just an uninformed/lazy/incompetent electorate. Pick any party, and you wind up with the same result...;)

Since I don't vote in the (D) primary, I could care less....but I'm enjoying the show.

Back