Ok all you networking gurus

PostCode

Major contributor!
Got an issue here.

Everytime I install file and print sharing on this system I'm working on I get a VSERVER VD error.

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C15AB477 in VXD VSERVER(01) + 00004FD7.

Searched the Internet on this and I can't come up with a solution. Thought it might be an issue with the video drivers so I reinstalled those. Nope.

Thought it might be an issue with the ethernet card, nope. I tried a D-Link 503 TX+ and a Xircom USB to Ethernet adpater. Same thing. That damn blue screen.

After the blue screen, the system seems to be working fine. I can browse the network. It can even see itself.

I've yet to start pulling apps through msconfig and see if it's an application running in the background. I'll do that tomorrow.

Anyway, what I'm really trying to figure out is what exactly is this VXD used for? What's happening when I enable file/print sharing that's causing this? Any ideas?

I ran a couple different virus scans and came up empty handed on it. I just can't figure this one out.

Thanks Gonz. Both are already enabled, but maybe if I choose another configuration it might work....hopefully. I'll take a hack at those.

What the hell? You got a comp running through MS's KB 24/7 or something? You came back with those real damn quick dude. :) Thanks by the way. :)

Hmmm. You do know that blue screens are features, not flaws right?

I'd go with the pulling apps first, see what happens. :shrug:

It's gotta be an application running in the background. This lady is a CPA and tax preparer. This is not the time of the year forr this to happen...ugh.

20 bucks says it's some poorly written tax software she can't live without.

No way. I've got a feeling that's exactly what it is.

Little tid bit I found out. In the next few years your going to have to file your claim electronically. The IRS is planning to completely eliminate all filing in it's present form, that is, by snail mail.

No more having to dash down to the Post office at 11:59pm,whats next ,having to do all your Christmas shopping Online.
It takes all the Fun out of it :( .

Does she have a Novell client? We used to get that after deleting the client and IPX/SPX protocols out of NN. We had to upgrade the client to the most current version we had and then delete it again.

No. No Novell on this POS. Boss took it back down to her place. She was whining because I yarded it and brought it to the shop. Her stupid ass receptionist said it was ok, but for some reason, this is my fault. Fuck e'm'. Fix the fucking thing yourself.

Was it a 98 machine?

I've had a simalar problem several times like this on 98.
The owner of the machine installed ICS, but didn't uninstall
it right.
I had to :
Make sure there were 2 nics in it.
install ICS (reboot)
then uninstall ICS (reboot)
then take out the extra nic (if I had to put one in)

If it was 2000 or xp, it's a whole different procedure, but
they usually don't give trouble with it.

It was the issue Gonz pointed to. It was set to user level access, which, of course, Windows 98 dosen't know about. Why this feature is allowed to be checked in Windows 98 I'll never know. Anyway, problem resolved. Thanks Gonzo.

Back