One more reason the federal government should not own land.

jimpeel

That is three -- count 'em -- three trees. Ya think the government will now go after her property; and when they sell it they won't tout the spectacular view as a major selling point worthy of extra monetary value?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325025,00.html

Woman Faces 10 Years in Jail for Cutting Down Protected Trees to Improve View
Wednesday, January 23, 2008

RENO, Nev. — A woman has been indicted on charges alleging she had three large trees up to a century old cut down on sensitive federal land near Lake Tahoe to improve her view, prosecutors said Wednesday.

Officials said they weren't aware of any similar federal prosecutions.

Patricia M. Vincent, 58, was indicted last week on charges of theft of government property and willingly damaging government property. If convicted, she faces up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine for each count.

The three ponderosa pines stood on a plot the U.S. Forest Service had designated as environmentally sensitive as part of a water quality plan to help protect the clarity of Lake Tahoe. The trees were estimated at 80 to 100years old; trees that age would be at least 2 feet in diameter at the base of the trunk.

"It is important that public lands, which are held in trust for the benefit of all citizens, are appropriately protected by our land management agencies," U.S. Attorney Gregory Brower said in a news release. "Individuals who unlawfully encroach on these lands and cause damage will be prosecuted."

Forest Service spokesman Rex Norman said there have been other cases of trees being cut down illegally on national forest land in the Tahoe Basin but he was not aware of any similar federal prosecution. Natalie Collins, a spokeswoman for the Justice Department in Las Vegas, said she also did not recall any similar prosecution.

The indictment accuses Vincent of hiring a commercial tree removal business in April to cut down the trees to enhance her view in Incline Village, one of the wealthiest towns on the shore of the mountain resort lake.

The damage exceeded $10,000, the indictment said.

Vincent could not be reached for comment and there was no indication if she had a lawyer. There is no telephone listing for a Patricia Vincent in Incline Village and there was no immediate response to calls and a fax message sent to a number listed for Robert Vincent at her address.

The damage exceeded $10,000, the indictment said.

So your time in prison is worth only $1,000 per year and the fine is $25,000 for every $1,000 in damage done.

This is so typical of government bureaucratic thinking; and this is still one more reason that folks -- like those in Nye County, NV -- are rebelling against the government.

Was it her land? If it wasn't, then she had no right to remove those trees unless they posed a damage risk to her property. The article says the following...

Patricia M. Vincent, 58, was indicted last week on charges of theft of government property and willingly damaging government property.

You say something else...The government isn't seizing her land. She was stupid, and forfeited ownership by destroying federal property. :shrug:

You say something else...The government isn't seizing her land.

I asked a question. "Ya think the government will now go after her property; and when they sell it they won't tout the spectacular view as a major selling point worthy of extra monetary value?"

You also seem to be a fan of seizure and forfeiture. Are you?

She was stupid, and forfeited ownership by destroying federal property. :shrug:

I also said that the federal government shouldn't own that land in the first place.

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;

Article I, Section 8, Paragraph 19, Constitution of the United States

Did she knock down any Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, or other needful Buildings in her quest to down those trees? Are there plans in the works to build any Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, or other needful Buildings? Were there Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, or other needful Buildings which were disguised as trees and which now lay in a twisted heap due to this woman destroying them?

three 100 year old trees does not an ancient forest make-hell, they're not even old (by tree standards)

It's real simple folks. She went onto land she didn't own. She altered that land. That is a crime.

Do I necessarily agree with the possible sentence? Not in this case. I also know she'll get nothing near the max.

I don't give a damn if it's one tree, one branch, one leaf. It ain't yours. She would be suing for a helluva lot more if the feds had come into her yard and cut three trees. Bank on that. And every one of you would support her.

And to the usual suspects...before you waste your time and energy typing some slanderous missive about my support of government...fucking save it. The adults know me better, and your pettiness is wearing thin. So bugger off with it already.

On this one solitary issue, I am all about protecting our public lands, and if that rubs some twit on a message board wrong I'll lose the appropriate amount of sleep over it.

"It is important that public lands, which are held in trust for the benefit of all citizens, are appropriately protected by our land management agencies," U.S. Attorney Gregory Brower said in a news release. "Individuals who unlawfully encroach on these lands and cause damage will be prosecuted."

To do any less we'll have developers on every square inch. When it's gone it's gone folks...they ain't makin no more land. Manifest destiny has reached its physical limit. We got what we got. Keep yer fuggin hands off it.

It's not a crime to cut tres on public property.

But it is...unless you get permission. Looks like she didn't get permission, so the point is moot. She is an idiot, and her idiocy is going to cost her. If she got permission, and some pencil-pushing beaurocrat said yes, then she'd have a case.

As for the federal government not being allowed to 'own' land, I believe thats a misnomer. That land was set aside for the public water supply. Not some bonehead's waterfront view. Those trees were there before her house was, I'd dare say. She should've thought of her much-vaunted view when she was building. ;)

Old trees, protected land..

a message is being sent.

If they want to send a message they should call Western Union. They are making this woman an example to instill fear in others, lest they do the same thing.

There is nothing like having a huge juggernaut with endless finances coming at you.

Remember that poster with the storm trooper in full regalia and the caption "We're from the government. We're here to help."?

Back