One more reason...

HomeLAN

V 2.0 will be going to private school, where discipline is usually maintained a little better. This would be where he'd go to public school at this age.

MARIETTA, Georgia (AP) -- Two seventh-grade girls were arrested on charges that they served poisoned cake at their middle school cafeteria to about a dozen students who became ill and had to be taken to the hospital.

Lawyers for the girls said the cake was a prank, and that they had no intention to harm anyone. Lab tests showed the icing on the cornbread cake contained an expired prescription drug, bleach, clay and Tabasco sauce.

Source

Where were:

1) the parents
2) the school officials.

No way should these two twits have been allowed to bake this thing nor to hand it out.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
My how times have changed. I clearly remember during my high school tenure students making things and bringing to school for particular classes. French, for instance...we had a week where the students made traditional French foods and brought to class so everyone could sample the cuisine. Nobody thought a thing about it.

Of course, I also remember that at least 40% of the guys at school had pocket knives. It's a rural area; many male students and some female students left school for the day and went straight to the barn to feed calves etc. The knife was used to slice the baling twine. And of all the fist fights that happened at school, I never once recall anyone pulling one of those knives out.

Sad story. I weep for kids these days. I honestly don't see how they survive adolescence.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SouthernN'Proud said:
My how times have changed. I clearly remember during my high school tenure students making things and bringing to school for particular classes. French, for instance...we had a week where the students made traditional French foods and brought to class so everyone could sample the cuisine. Nobody thought a thing about it.

Of course, I also remember that at least 40% of the guys at school had pocket knives. It's a rural area; many male students and some female students left school for the day and went straight to the barn to feed calves etc. The knife was used to slice the baling twine. And of all the fist fights that happened at school, I never once recall anyone pulling one of those knives out.

Sad story. I weep for kids these days. I honestly don't see how they survive adolescence.

Different times. We were taught that certain things just weren't done. Kids today are taught to express their emotions. We're at the point now, where we're trying to get the cork back into the pig's ass...(reference to an old joke)

HomeLAN

Pocket knives, I have no problem with. Sanctioned activities that involve food (like a foreign language club doing a lunch around that culture) I have no problem with.

Any student simply coming on in and handing out consumables, I have a problem with.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Pocket knives? Hell, we had gun racks in our trucks & they were filled.

ClaireBear

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
Different times. We were taught that certain things just weren't done. Kids today are taught to express their emotions. We're at the point now, where we're trying to get the cork back into the pig's ass...(reference to an old joke)

Basically never mind being taught to express emotions... sadly the vast majority of kids today are taught NOTHING.. other than what they can glean from the TV... infront of which they are plonked from 18months onwards! :rolleyes:

Inkara1

SouthernN'Proud said:
Of course, I also remember that at least 40% of the guys at school had pocket knives.
I had a pocketknife on me for most of my senior year. I graduated in 1999. I could have been suspended/expelled for having it, but no one ever checked and I didn't brandish it or stab anyone with it.

ekahs retsam

Inkara1 said:
I had a pocketknife on me for most of my senior year. I graduated in 1999. I could have been suspended/expelled for having it, but no one ever checked and I didn't brandish it or stab anyone with it.

I and most of my friends had a pocket knife in high school and I graduated in 2000. I took it to school all the time and once during a drama thing (I helping work lights and sound). I pulled it out and used it in front of both the principle and the drama instructor, neither said a word because they knew I wouldn't be stupid with it (and yes I got into LOTS of fights in high school and only once had to use a weapon but that was because someone else had one to start with but it wasn't a knife it was a baseball bat, and bat VS knife = bat wins!)

Same reason I carried a lighter, I don't smoke, but some times I need fire for things like melting nylon rope or something.

It isn't the knife that is the problem it is the student, though bringing a gun in the school is different matter.

MrBishop

Private school willget you a better grade of teacher and ahigher class of student...but lemme tell you. Kids will do stupid shit regardless of wether they're wearing $10 Nike knockoffs or $150 Doc Martens... it ain't the local and it ain't the clothes...its the attitude.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
MrBishop said:
Private school willget you a better grade of teacher and ahigher class of student...but lemme tell you. Kids will do stupid shit regardless of wether they're wearing $10 Nike knockoffs or $150 Doc Martens... it ain't the local and it ain't the clothes...its the attitude.

Generally, yes, that's about the way it goes. However, the extent of disrespect & disregard tends to increase as the poverty level gets nearer.

markjs

Banned
I went to a Catholic school for two years as a lad. It was better behavior wise than public school by far. I don't think the education was really superior, but the lack of other distractions made it worth it. There were a lot of poor kids that either had some scholarship deal or their parents just went all out to keep them there. As a result there was a lot of backwards class warfare. I was picked on for wearing generic shoes and clothes (uniforms). The poorer kids always managed to have high dollar Nikes and such which made them "above" my fairly upper middle class family. My family got to be upper middle class at least in part by being thrifty. It wasn't a boon for me in the 8th grade however.

HomeLAN

MrBishop said:

Yes, they will. When discipline is imposed both at school and at home, however, it isn't allowed to progress very far. In my experience, parents will find better partners in this effort at private schools.

HomeLAN

Unless, of course, the parents aren't interested in an effective partner. :rolleyes:

Update!

The father, who has identified himself as Alan, said Tuesday that he will not take the school system up on its offer for his daughter to attend the county's Central Alternative School.

"That would put her back where she was dramatically unsuccessful last year," he said, contending his daughter needs special education for a form of autism called Asperger Syndrome.

District Attorney Pat Head is waiting for lab results on the contents of the cake before deciding whether to prosecute the girls for aggravated assault with intent to commit murder. Both girls admitted baking the cake. One of the girls also was charged with committing terroristic acts and interference with government property.

School officials have said they will withhold a decision on whether to expel the students until court proceedings are concluded.

Juvenile Court Judge Steve Schuster ordered that Alan's daughter be placed in a supervised group home pending Head's decision on the charges. Schuster ordered that the other girl, whom police say did not serve the cake to students, remain under home arrest.

Alan said he believes his daughter's medical condition qualifies her for federal protection status. He doesn't want her to return to East Cobb Middle School, but does want the school system to pay for private education or tutoring to meet her special needs.

Source (requires registration)

So, because your kid hasn't been properly supervised at home, and may or may not have a medical condition, I and the rest of the taxpayers have to foot a $10,000 per year bill to send your little sweetheart to private school? Pardon me, but fuck you.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Asperger Syndrome or (Asperger's Disorder) is a neurobiological disorder named for a Viennese physician, Hans Asperger, who in 1944 published a paper which described a pattern of behaviors in several young boys who had normal intelligence and language development, but who also exhibited autistic-like behaviors and marked deficiencies in social and communication skills.

My neighbors grandkid has this. Another made up disease.

federal protection status

:finger: The parents are the protection for their children, not the state.

HomeLAN

They can't even prove the little turd has it. Tests are merely "suggestive". However, Daddy wants me to fork over the dough to privately educate his little darling in a speacial needs environment. $$$$$$. Is it possible that we've uncovered the root problem here?

In a private school, they could just expel her sorry ass and have done with it.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I would agree that if the child has Asperger's, she very much needs whatever special ed is available in their area. It's a difficult condition. I'm sure that'd be available at the alternative school?

HomeLAN

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know enough about the alternative school. What I do know is that Daddy needs to step up to the fuckin' plate, here.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
From what I've read anecdotally written by parents of kids with apraxia (also on the autism spectrum) about the special ed system there, and how hard it is to get in, stay in, and get the right help, he's not gonna win anyway, and she'll be lucky to get the basics met...so no worries lol. It seems the system isn't that much different than here, and it's a helluva fight to get the basics. If he thinks he's gonna get more he's got a surprise waiting.

HomeLAN

Look, if the kid actually has this (questionable) and needs treatment, I'm sorry to hear that. However, if that's the case, the parents need to deal with that - on their dime. This ain't an economically disadvantaged area we're talking about. It's deep in an affluent part of Atlanta. I know, since I live there.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
But if the parents pay for it, they default on their own arguments and vicariously admit that they might conceivably be accountable for the actions their precious angel allegedly perpetrated. Can't have that, doncha know? It just has to be someone or something else's fault...doesn't it?

:asshole: