Online stock trading

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Who does it?

What trading company do you go through... e-trade, ameritrade, etc.?

I have some money laying around that I'm about to invest, and I can't decide which of the numerous trading companies is the better value. E-trade has $1 less commission per trade (both flat rates) than Ameritrade. I think some other charge a percentage commission?

I do mine through Ameritrade. I wasn't thrilled with the $2.99 rise in commissions when the Datek merger went through, BUT that same rate applies to limit orders as well. Never had a problem with these guys.

Jerrek said:
Ameritrade :) I've heard good things about them at least.

That sounds like yo plan to use them as oppised to are currently using them which, I believe was the question :pissed about work:

I've received a suggestion to take a look at Interactive Brokers.

They seem to have a very good reputation, and charge a commision of $0.01 per share up to 500 shares, and $0.005 per share above that amount. For the amount of stocks I'll be buying/selling at any one time, that would equate to at most a buck or two per transaction... only a fraction of what e-trade and ameritrade charge.

They don't do mutual funds though. I should browse through e-trade and ameritrade again and see if they do, since I plan on putting about half my money in fairly stable slow growth mutual funds.

Ameritrade does, but be aware that it may take 3-4 days to liquidate a mutual fund position. At least, that was my experience about a year ago.

Back