OUCH!

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Neb. Woman Gives Birth to 14-Pound Baby

1 hour ago
OMAHA, Neb. - An Omaha woman has given birth to a 14-pound, 3-ounce girl.

Jirong Long required a Caesarean section to deliver Virginia Wenjing You on Nov. 26. Virginia is the largest baby delivered at Creighton University Medical Center in its 130-year history, spokesman Ed Finan said.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest baby ever delivered was a boy weighing 23 pounds, 12 ounces in Seville, Ohio, in 1879.

Long, a Creighton genetics research fellow, said the size of her daughter is even more amazing because she and her husband, Mingrong You, are not big people.

Long is about 5 feet 4. She weighed 130 pounds before her pregnancy and peaked at 192 while she was expecting.

Her husband is about 5-9 and weighs 160 pounds.

Five days after Long's Nov. 20 due date, doctors induced labor with the expectation that the baby would be 8 or 9 pounds. Long said they eventually decided to perform the C-section because it was too dangerous for her to deliver naturally.

Long said she and her baby had no complications and are in good health.

Virginia already is wearing 6-month-old's clothing.

"She has a lot of hair and she is so cute," Long said. "She is very beautiful, and I am very, very happy."

23 pounds?! for the record? Jebus Christmas! I can just see that woman in the recovery room with an icebag on her head, weakly raising an arm... and in an almost inaudible voice saying, 'whiskey'.

Scarier still is that I don't think they had C-Section deliveries in 1879. That lady basically shoved a three-year-old through her :eek:! Wasn't there a lack of good painkillers back then too?

Boy, am I ever glad I'm not her!

There isn't a relation between the size of Mom and the size of a baby, is there? My mother is 5'3" and I'm 5'10". I was barely 6 pounds when I was born.

And in 1879, they didn't know how to induce labor either if the mother was overdue. I wonder if she died in childbirth? That's too big to fit through the birth canal without complications, I would think. Ouch!

That one was damn near too big to fit through a car door. :eek5: Guess its a good thing they weren't invented yet....:retard:

Long, a Creighton genetics research fellow, said the size of her daughter is even more amazing because she and her husband, Mingrong You, are not big people.

Ya,but how tall/large was the "father" :lloyd:

Was the mother diabetic?

Sometimes stuff like this happens cos the baby's getting waaaaaaay too much sugar in utero.

Or screwed up growth hormone maybe.

The husband vs 'father' point is also a good one :D :D

Squiggy said:
She weighed 130 pounds before her pregnancy and peaked at 192 while she was expecting.

She gained 62 pounds while pregnant?!?! :eek: That can't be good!! I've only gained about 15 pounds so far - and that's including pigging out during Thanksgiving, and I'm only 6 weeks away from giving birth *thanks the gods*

Inkara1 said:
Scarier still is that I don't think they had C-Section deliveries in 1879. That lady basically shoved a three-year-old through her :eek:! Wasn't there a lack of good painkillers back then too?

Boy, am I ever glad I'm not her!
yes inky there was. outside being knocked out there wasnt really any good pain killers

How can the woman say she's not 'a big person' if she weighed in at 130 pounds before she got pregnanat...at a height of only 5'4, isn't that 'big' (not as in tall)?

Naw. Stephanie (an ex of mine from a few years back) was 5'4" and 140 lbs. and was nowhere near fat at all. Observe.

kuulani said:
She gained 62 pounds while pregnant?!?! :eek: That can't be good!! I've only gained about 15 pounds so far - and that's including pigging out during Thanksgiving, and I'm only 6 weeks away from giving birth *thanks the gods*
I gained 50 with my first :blush: and 20ish with the other 2

I'm 5'5 and 115-120 lbs...I think 140 on me would be huge :alienhuh:

Size at birth doesn't say much though. A friend of my mom's was over 10lbs when she was born and now she's a tiny little thing...

AlphaTroll said:
How can the woman say she's not 'a big person' if she weighed in at 130 pounds before she got pregnanat...at a height of only 5'4, isn't that 'big' (not as in tall)?
[cough]tits[/cough]
actually, some people are just heavier. it's their bone structure or something. i am the same way....not that i don't have some weight to lose but, i long ago gave up the scales...not a great ego boost. now i just use old clothes as a weight loss landmark.

Yeah, but I'm 5'8" and according to my nutritionist 130 is a healthy weight for me.....big boobs, big bones & all.

Back