Parakeets...

I wish they would pay as much attention to other invasive non-native species and the damage they cause. House Sparrows and Starlings are a MUCH bigger problem to other native birds. But they don't cost people money so nobody cares.

And I'm with you on the kudzu Paul. I'd love to see english ivy and japanese honeysuckle eradicated as well.

greenfreak said:
I wish they would pay as much attention to other invasive non-native species and the damage they cause. House Sparrows and Starlings are a MUCH bigger problem to other native birds. But they don't cost people money so nobody cares.

Sparrows and Starlings are also rather aggressive when their nests are approached. I've seen starlings fly down and deliver a decent peck on just about anything. Sparrows, too, but they're smaller. Anybody know if they make good catfish bait? :devious:

GF said:
And I'm with you on the kudzu Paul. I'd love to see english ivy and japanese honeysuckle eradicated as well.

People who have no idea what they plant on their lawn should be buried in their lawn.

Oh, thanks for reminding me. If some brave soul could find their way clear to carry perhaps a few Kudzu seeds to the BBQ for me, I'd be mildly indebted. I still don't think it can beat out my wild grape, but the battle should be impressive.

Hey hey hey now! Ladybugs are beneficial at least. They have a job to do and they're CUTE!

What do you have against these little guys?? :(

ladybug.gif

Professur said:
Oh, thanks for reminding me. If some brave soul could find their way clear to carry perhaps a few Kudzu seeds to the BBQ for me, I'd be mildly indebted. I still don't think it can beat out my wild grape, but the battle should be impressive.
I wonder what they'd do to you at the border if they caught you bringing it back over. :lloyd:

GF the ones with the white around their eyes bite people.

I'm not worried about seeds at the border. I'll just drop them in a spice jar and label it some sort of pepper.

Gato_Solo said:
Sparrows and Starlings are also rather aggressive when their nests are approached. I've seen starlings fly down and deliver a decent peck on just about anything. Sparrows, too, but they're smaller. Anybody know if they make good catfish bait? :devious:
They also bludgeon the babies of other birds and throw them out of the nest. You would think they do that to take the nest for themselves but often times they don't. They just kill off the offspring of the other birds around them. Like bluebirds, the NY state bird. Which is why there's a nestbox campaign to keep the house sparrows out and the bluebirds and chickadees in.

greenfreak said:
Hey hey hey now! Ladybugs are beneficial at least. They have a job to do and they're CUTE!

What do you have against these little guys?? :(
they're HORRIBLE. They infest buildings around here, every year like clockwork (some years worse than others, we get

lbmass.jpg

all over our windows, doors, all over the INSIDE of the house. They bite, my kids were scared to go to bed one year because of the masses of them. They'd wake up screaming because suddenly their room would be just full, and we'd be up there at midnight and all through the day scraping them off with a squeegie. They're the Asian variety, brought over with the intent of agricultural control of other pests, they're wiping out the native variety, and they're damned aggressive. They stink, they BITE, they make a mess. GAH.

linkie

the pic I posted - every inch of space in a room.

:(

and yeah, it hurts, just like a blackfly bite.

I can't bring myself to hurt them, so I squeegie them usually. :eh:

I just read that article, it says a good way to do it is to vaccuum them too. :laugh:

Damn. My opinion of them has soured. I liked them because they ate the aphids off my plants.

That's what they were brought here for, as they're more aggressive and hungrier than the native species. It's backfired.

I really love when they do that. They introduce a non-native species to combat some other non-native species that has run rampant. They can't think ahead 5, 10 years.

greenfreak said:
I really love when they do that. They introduce a non-native species to combat some other non-native species that has run rampant. They can't think ahead 5, 10 years.

and admit that the "Experts" might be wrong? Heaven forfend.

Professur said:
and admit that the "Experts" might be wrong? Heaven forfend.

From what I understand, Asian Sparrows are good for eating the little buggers...:devious:

Happens in North GA, too. In the late summer/early fall, they swarm up in the mountains. I've personally swept mounds of the little fuckers out of my mother's place.

Back