Peer-to-peer 'seeders' could be targeted

I dont think it will work, to many variables can be changed very quickly as to how the P2P works.
And this part could get them Into trouble real quick. " It does this by mimicking the behaviour of a user on a massive scale - sending out multiple requests for a file extremely quickly. It deduces the culprits by assuming that only they will have the full 100% of the file, having uploaded the original."

Assuming will get them lawsuits they werent intending to. specially the counter suits.

The tech guys at my ISP are morons, IPs are dynamic and I bet they could never trace certain IP at a given time to my home :lol:

/me hugs Sweden
svenskflaggivind1ve.gif

Du gamla, Du fria, Du fjällhöga nord
Du tysta, Du glädjerika sköna!
Jag hälsar Dig, vänaste land uppå jord,
/: Din sol, Din himmel, Dina ängder gröna. :/

Du tronar på minnen från fornstora dar,
då ärat Ditt namn flög över jorden.
Jag vet att Du är och Du blir vad du var.
/: Ja, jag vill leva jag vill dö i Norden. :/

Jag städs vill dig tjäna mitt älskade land,
din trohet till döden vill jag svära.
Din rätt, skall jag värna, med håg och med hand,
/:din fana, högt den bragderika bära. :/

Med Gud skall jag kämpa, för hem och för härd,
för Sverige, den kära fosterjorden.
Jag byter Dig ej, mot allt i en värld
:/ Nej, jag vill leva jag vill dö i Norden. :/

Luis G said:
The tech guys at my ISP are morons, IPs are dynamic and I bet they could never trace certain IP at a given time to my home :lol:
Heard of logs? Chances are they have a log on what customer had what ip at any given time.

Illegal file sharing is one of the main reasons I'm out of a job right now. Not because I got caught doing it, but because the music industry hit the skids a couple of years ago when file sharing became rampant. Funny thing was, everyone I knew at work listened to illegally downloaded mp3's. I hate my former company so much now that I wish it becomes their downfall. :shrug:

The reason the music industry gets hit so hard is they charge $16.99 for a $9.99 product & the price has actually increased as production costs dropped,

Overpricing has been an issue for years. File sharing is what truly did in the music industry. ;)

Gonz said:
The reason the music industry gets hit so hard is they charge $16.99 for a $9.99 product & the price has actually increased as production costs dropped,

To which I would gladly pay if and only if a greater share of the profits went to the artists themselves, not the companies.

File sharing was the only recourse, outside not buying the product, (I know that's a rather ironic statement) which would have hurt the artists more than the label. Plus, it's awfully hard to get 10gajillion teenyboppers to give up their boys bands & Brittney.

Much of the reason I drive trucks instead of a Ferrari is getting screwed by a label. I have no lost sympathy.

Did you used to work in the business, or were you an aspiring artist who got screwed over by an unscrupulous producer or something?

Frankly, I always hated the business. I was only tangentially involved. (For years, it hardly seemed my job had anything to do with it.) Lots of shallow, arrogant asshole executives with assistants who took on their demeanor. Except for me, of course. I was a peach. :winkkiss:

Musician...tour money...dried up...after outside contract signings. They had a "clause" & there was a change in direction by the label.

There is an interesting debate over file-sharing and general internet rights and liberties which I have only done a bit of light reading of - but as I understand it, at present the focus is on people that upload copyrighted files to share, rather than those that download them, and use the software/mp3's whatever for personal use. I can see the problem of downloading them and then re-selling them...but most people just use it as a way of building their private music collection for their own use in what is a free and legal way... That prevents people from buying c.ds and things sure - but they are overpriced as it is, and Gonz is right; Nobody is going to dampen the pull-factor of the major labels and Britney Spears and other manufactured teen idols - which is where the mass market thrives in the industry anyway. Though I would struggle to call contemporary pop-stars "artists"...

The golden days of music are gone, and all corporations are such massive multi-conglomerates now anyway with so much reach in all different areas - they're not loosing out much - they have such a reach in all the different industries the amount that is lost through file sharing to them is probably nothing more than breaking a fingernail. In fact, they make more money out of the use of intellectual property...(such as where a trademark elvis song used in a movie etc).

Personally, I think that uploading files like that is theft too, and morally I wouldn't want to do it because of the implications of that - but then on the flipside it is already so out of control that unless someone comes up with a revolutionising piece of watchdog technology it is too late. But then, with all this big-brother type intellegence being developed then you kinda have to hold your breath don't you. I read another thing where some American intelligence spokesperson was talking about how they want to impose restrictions and things on internet use and access - for "security" (it would be stupid not to realise the corporate interests involved) - I don't think that is an absolute impossibility. Though hard to imagine now, who knows what might happen down the track? He described the www as the contemporary version of the "Wild, Wild West" - an analogy, which I think - if it casts out as a virtual revolution in the same way - the freedom in the way we know and use the net could be set for a drastic change.

To me it seems more like a token step for a battle that has already been lost, and from what I've heard...these corporations that are now pissing and moaning about the file-sharing situation when they had every opportunity to get on the bandwagon commercially before the phenomenon took off and would have made money out of it. But they didn't, they overlooked it and they missed out. :shrug:

TG, this excellent article from The Economist backs up much of what you are saying. File sharing is not solely responsible for the downfall of the music industry. However, it has certainly not helped it either. My former company (one of the four majors listed in the article) hasn't developed any lasting talent for, some would say, eons. As this article suggests, the one-hit wonders they crank out, factory style, appeal mainly to young people with short attention spans, who are much more likely to acquire their favorite music through illegal file sharing. A good bulk of their sales emanate from old catalog standbys (Dylan, Sinatra, and the like). However, as the world population ages, these sales naturally decrease. After all, there are only so many reissued, repackaged versions of an old hit one is willing to buy. They might see a slight profit one year by laying off half their staff, but that's certainly no long-term solution. These corporations failed to invest in their futures and are paying for it now, and will continue to pay for it in the future.

We need more groups like the Spinners, that can actually sign, and the put a little metal
behind um. :confused:
I think we just need a group were more than one person can sing, like the boy bands,
except not so lovy dovy.

as for the single singer bands ...Nickleback, and 3 doors down, seem to
be fairly new groups that are good..

Back