Personal savings

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The experts say we don't save enough. The experts say we should have approximately 6 months worth of cash, in case of emergency. The experts haven't seen recent savings account rates. No wonder nobody is saving.

I just went bank shopping, to see where I can park some cash, earning more interest than my 0% non-interest bearing checking account. What a joke. Typically, under ten grand it's less than one percent.

Fuck it, spend away.

That's not the worst part, most banks give you an incredible low rate compared to the one they charge you in the credit card. But even worst, some banks actually CHARGE you for having a debit account and for withdrawing money, like we have to pay for the priviledge of letting them have our money. :rolleyes:

Luis G said:
That's not the worst part, most banks give you an incredible low rate compared to the one they charge you in the credit card. But even worst, some banks actually CHARGE you for having a debit account and for withdrawing money, like we have to pay for the priviledge of letting them have our money. :rolleyes:

Egad! Someone's starting to get it!

i have a few thousand in an account i can't touch, and i've got like $30 in my own account. in checking. trying hard not to touch it. i didn't work the sunday before last (i only work sundays currently, that's gotta change), so this past week i didn't get a paycheck, so i'm trying to have that little bit last me a while.
i have few friends with more than a couple hundred to their name, if they are not minus dollars.

I only have a savings account every other year now. They have an account I can plut money into when I'm deployed that gives me around 7% interest, tax free, over the time period I'm in the sand-box plus two months. While that may not seem like much, it really helps the 'bottom line' when you get back...

BTW...I hear Kellogg, Brown, and Root is looking for truck drivers in the Middle East...

Luis G said:
That's not the worst part, most banks give you an incredible low rate compared to the one they charge you in the credit card.

It's called "the spread", and it's how banks have made money since the invention of banking. The fees, OTOH, are a relatively new idea in banking (15 years or so), and are expanding.

Well fine, I guess they won't be strappin' an ankle
bracelet on you anytime soon then.

Back