• Soda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coke (even it if isn't coke)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jeslek

Banned
story.map.jpg

Green areas order pop, red areas call it Coke, and the blue areas ask for soda.

SOURCE: http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/09/12/pop.vs.soda.ap/index.html

JACKSON, Mississippi (AP) -- In the South it's called Coke, even when it's Pepsi. Many in Boston say tonic. A precious few even order a fizzy drink.

But the debate between those soft drink synonyms is a linguistic undercard in the nation's carbonated war of words. The real battle: pop vs. soda.

Order a soda in Michigan or Minnesota and you're clearly an outsider. Ask for pop in New York City and you risk being ridiculed.

I'm from the South and we do call it coke. Except for my wife. She was born/raised in Memphis and calls it soda.

Yes but go anywhere in the world and say "gimme a DEW" and you always get the same thing....

Scanty said:
Is this just for Americans, then? We don't call it any of them.
Not just for Americans... Everyone, but I guess its mostly for North America since the rest of the world has their own languages. What do you say? I recall saying soda in Malaysia and they understood it just fine.

Okay, but I don't live in Malaysia! :D ;) We don't really have a generic term for fizzy drinks. In the uk, we just say the name of the drink that we're gonna get, I suppose.

Scanty said:
Okay, but I don't live in Malaysia! :D ;) We don't really have a generic term for fizzy drinks. In the uk, we just say the name of the drink that we're gonna get, I suppose.
I know :) My friends usually ask Can I grab a pop? because they don't always know what I have in the fridge. A sort of collective term I suppose. :)

It's generally called soft-drink here. Don't ask me why, we're not to good at creating names that make sense in Australia ;)

We don't call them any of those either. Oh, apart from really old people or (like your grandparents, for example) or people who are socially spacktardious might ask you if you want some "fizzy pop" or something else similarly embarassing.

Coke is Coke, of course. "Having a pop" is taking a swing at someone (hehe) and "soda" is only ever really used in the context of soda water or cream/ice cream soda.

Back