Priorities

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
WICHITA, Kan. - As stabbing victim LaShanda Calloway lay dying on the floor of a convenience store, five shoppers, including one who stopped to take a picture of her with a cell phone, stepped over the woman, police said.

The June 23 situation, captured on the store's surveillance video, got scant news coverage until a columnist for The Wichita Eagle disclosed the existence of the video and its contents Tuesday.

Police have refused to release the video, saying it is part of their investigation.

"It was tragic to watch," police spokesman Gordon Bassham said Tuesday. "The fact that people were more interested in taking a picture with a cell phone and shopping for snacks rather than helping this innocent young woman is, frankly, revolting."

Yahoo.com story

God bless America. And gimme a f**kin Slim Jim already.

Phil Ochs circa 1965 said:
Oh look outside the window, there's a woman being grabbed
They've dragged her to the bushes and now she's being stabbed
Maybe we should call the cops and try to stop the pain
But Monopoly is so much fun, I'd hate to blow the game
And I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
Outside of a small circle of friends

The first verse is a commentary on the murder of Kitty Genovese. She was murdered March 14th, 1964 in NYC. Dave Marulli supplies the following about this incident:

On March 13, 1964, a 28 year old New York City woman gained world-wide recognition for her role in an event which even today is remembered by people everywhere, creating a legacy still held up as an example of American values, or lack thereof. There can be no doubt, however, that Kitty Genovese would have given all her worldly possessions to have avoided the global "fame" acquired on that Friday the 13th that gave to her the ultimate horror associated with this symbol of bad luck.

Even though 47,000 New York City residents have been murdered since, hers remains the most tragic because 38 "citizens" awakened by her cries for help watched as she was assaulted not once, but three times over a half hour period. Not only did they fail to come to her aid, they also failed to call the police for help. Vincent Mosely, her assailant, stabbed her several times, then left, only to return a few minutes later to cut her up a little more.
Linkage

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.*

*The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Excuse me while I laugh that I might not cry.

well it is a convenience store. and it would obviously be inconvenient for lazy americans to help her out...

Who's copping out? The reason many people don't get involved is because of lawyers. When someone trespassing on your property (salesman for example) gets hurt, you are responsible. When you help someone in distress & something goes wrong, you get sued.

That's the facts. Lawyers have made an act of goodwill into a potential liability issue.

As Gato pointed out there are Good Samaritan laws but those usually protect medical professionals. As I pointed out, I'm giving creedence to why many folks don't get involved-that doesn't mean I agree with it.

yes. lawyers are preventing you from a host of wonderful possibilities.

oh, no, wait, it's your own choices.

yes. lawyers are preventing you from a host of wonderful possibilities.

oh, no, wait, it's your own choices.

All choices have consequences. Some good, and some bad. If saving a mans life will get me sued, then sue away. I'll be more than happy to counter-sue for the use of my simplistic medical skills. :shrug:

All choices have consequences. Some good, and some bad. If saving a mans life will get me sued, then sue away. I'll be more than happy to counter-sue for the use of my simplistic medical skills. :shrug:

see now that's the right answer.

Back