professional networkers: need advice

Mirlyn

Need a new 16-port switch, aside from 3Com. I was thinking maybe SMC...price is a factor...the brand new Linksys switch a client has is needing to be reset every 36-48 hours because it locks up. :mad: I have had real good luck with SMC NICs, but haven't heard much about the Barricade or other router/switches they have. Any input?

Thanks all! :)

If you want new, go Cisco. Or, do what I did... Go to your local junkyard and pick up a cool, although beaten up, 16 port 10/100 switch for $15. :D

hahahaha......I think if 3Com is out of it, Cisco is safe to not even mention. :p

My friend is tired of the 7:00am calls complaining that "our network is down" from one of our clients. We're thinking about putting the switch on a timer so it'll powercycle every night untill we find a suitable high-quality replacement. :D

We use all 3Coms here, and a couple of Actons and NetGears. They're ok but I don't know how reliable they are. What about Intel? I know they make switches, not sure about hubs.

Had a bad experience with netgears....haven't convinced myself to go back. We're on a bad bunch of DLinks here on campus in our labs, looking at replacing them with SMCs. I'd love to go unmanaged 3Coms for the client; I would buy them in a heartbeat, but the client is looking for a cheaper solution.

I've heard of Actons and Intel, but not much in the form of real-world applications and installation notes. Have you any problems with the Actons specifically?

I have an 8-port NetGear switch at home too. It has been running for close to 24 months now without a problem.

Yeah, it seems this particular Linksys will work great while we're there. However, when everyone gets there in the morning and slams the network with their roaming profiles and database access (clock-ins, appointments, etc), it seems it bogs down the switch. Their smaller Linksys VPN routers are handling the load great, but the site switches aren't keeping up. I think tonight I'll stop by and move some ISOs to try to take it down and contact Linksys about it....maybe I just have a bad apple.

I've never used NetGears in an office environment, I don't know that they could handle that kind of traffic.

The Acton is what I use at my PC Bench, never had a problem with it in 2 years. It's only used to connect and test network connections though and only has 2 or 3 pc's connected at a time.

Bought from Dlink once(i think it was a zip drive) but they didn't make good on the mail in rebate they promised.

Professur said:
Almost all my ethernet customers are on Bay networks or 3com.

Yeah, Nortel is awesome; one of my friends' showed me how their Alteon worked and how to program it. :headbang: Stuffs quite cha-ching too.

Nobody's used SMC?

Too middle of the road for my level of customers. Most are banks and such. Where they're not token ring.

Hi Guys.

Depends if you want to manage your switch or not.

Cisco ( C2950-24 ) for manageable switches

or Allied-Tellysyn ( AT-724i ) for unmanaged.

Both are 10/100 switches with 24 ports, copper Ethernet ( RJ-45 ).

mirlyn, i have about 15/ 8 port hubs and 5/ 8 port switches all netgear and all unmanaged. Been running the company for 5 years with them. Very little trouble here. we have 58 computers attached.
I use a cisco router and have 2 intel switches, 1 smc wireless access point and 1 dlink airplus access point also.

I am going to be changing our setup to match corporatesoon. all will become cisco managed switches, no hubs. gotta love corp.:D

at home i was running a barricade router and loved it. never had any problems. i donated it to a friend when i went wireless.
She is still using it and hasnt had a problem yet.

samcurry said:
mirlyn, i have about 15/ 8 port hubs and 5/ 8 port switches all netgear and all unmanaged. Been running the company for 5 years with them. Very little trouble here. we have 58 computers attached.
I use a cisco router and have 2 intel switches, 1 smc wireless access point and 1 dlink airplus access point also.

I am going to be changing our setup to match corporatesoon. all will become cisco managed switches, no hubs. gotta love corp.:D

at home i was running a barricade router and loved it. never had any problems. i donated it to a friend when i went wireless.
She is still using it and hasnt had a problem yet.
See, all the 4-8 ports I've seen have been very nice from most of the brands. The Linksys 4-port VPN handles the office-to-office traffic very well with absoultely no slowdowns, but the 16-port thats behind it seems like it just can't keep up. Its whether they'll handle being slammed on all 16 ports for an entire office. :shrug: I think I'll buy a SMC and see what it'll do.

I'd love to put in all 3Com OfficeConnects or SuperStacks or similar, but he won't go for the price.

Back