PS2 trouble

unclehobart

My PS2 died yesterday... piece of crap. From what I can gather on the help sites, I was lucky to have it last as long as it did. It turns out that most of the machines from the initial generation were wonky at best and started dropping like flies at an average of like 14-15 months of age.

I remember that the original Playstations had a guaranteed death sentence if they had a 5000 or 5002 in the serial number as they were botched in construction and not recalled. Sony refused to admit to the problem.

Your PS2 might not have been of the initial batch like mine. I hear the later models had the problem with the power supply corrected.

Well you're better off getting the newest version anyway. It can play Burned DVDs and has a improved drive speed and updates.

How did it die? Playstations had a problem with the bearings if you kept the thing on its side (like the design encouraged you to do), making the thing rotate the DVDs kinda funny sometimes resulting in game freezes. If the thing was laid flat, the problem could be avoided.

Power supplies and cdroms go out like crazy. I still see people try to bring them back. Hardly anyone will touch them either.

mine has been working well. the first ones that came out had problems. its the later models that work well.

freako104 said:
note. it was my first x-box that died on me. anyone else had probs with theirs?
There were a few instances of the power light blinking but no other indication of power for some of the first-gen xboxes.

yup apparently thats what happened(a friend was borrowing it while i was in school and thats what happened)

Back