Putting on the dog

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
ok...so I just was at my girlfriends house watching Sweet Alabama or whatever that movie is called...

and the Alabamian mother said, if we'd known you were coming I'd have "put on the dog"

WTF?! :confuse3:

are there any southerners who can explain that one?!

Dressed up, cleaned up, made everything fancy.

Now, my dog would just make everything smelly, but you can try to put her on if it makes you feel better.

really?!

LOL

that's better than what we thought...we were going um...is that like a roast beef or ? :laugh:

Leslie said:
no, but with the stories we get up here about southerners
one never knows

Careful, I live down here now. Actually, a comedian named Blake Clark (all the Georgians on the forum will know him for sure) used to have a great line about it. I'll have to paraphrase:

I know y'all think we're nose picking toothless morons with a pickup truck that doesn't run who date our cousins. Well, I never dated my cousin. Fucked her, sure, but I never took her anyplace.
:lol2:

Squiggy said:
chcr, hows the ossum pie?

Oooh I saw a big juicy one on the way home tonight. Misses wouldn't let me stop, said it looked like he'd been there awhile. We have that rule around here, if it's roadkill, it's got to be fresh.

Squiggy said:
chcr, hows the ossum pie?
It's possum pie, and I ain't run up on one in a coon's age, thanks fer askin'.

(There is not enough money in the world to get me to eat one)

I prefer a big ol plate of hog jowls and chittlins :D

btw - I've never heard that saying either ?(

I think it's when the fiancee comes over to their house for the first time...that or his mother :confbang:

You can't really lump all "Southerners" into the same category anymore than you can "Northerners". There are many regional differences just as there are everywhere else.

I've not heard this one either, but I've heard lots of good ones, mostly from Ards dad.

Actually, when I think about it, I heard that expression more growing up in the northeast than I do in TN. I'm not sure I've ever heard it here.

Now that I think about it, maybe I assumed that meant putting meat on the grill or something to feed their guest :shurg:

Back